FTCs: the future of contracting? FTCs: the future of contracting? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    You can't be on an FTC with an agency, it has to be direct with the company you're doing the work for.

    You should get the same or equivalent benefits as a 'real' employee but there may be practical reasons for not giving the full suite of benefits (HMRC in the link below use the rather silly example of not giving a company car to someone on a 3 month FTC due to the cost).

    You become a permanent employee if you're on a FTC for 4 or more years, although there seems to be a sneaky get-out from this.

    Fixed-term employment contracts - GOV.UK
    Yeah, there are definitely workarounds. A lot of postdocs and research fellows in unis are on FTCs and they aren't guaranteed permanent employment after 4 years if there are objective grounds for the FTCs (like discrete funding).

  2. #12

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    12,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Are you an FTC or an employee? FTC's have been around awhile and we've also seen agents trying to employ contractors in the past. I posted a thread on this not long ago. https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...tml?highlight=

    FTC is fine. It has an end date and you know the score. Employing them isn't (IMO). You think you've go rights and are safe but you will get dropped as soon as the contract you are working for ends. They won't be moving you around like a consultancy or anything.

    Try and define if it's FTC or fully employed.
    I'm a perm, happy where I am NLUK; I'm not talking about my situation. I'm talking about an option for future contracts.

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    You can't be on an FTC with an agency, it has to be direct with the company you're doing the work for.

    You should get the same or equivalent benefits as a 'real' employee but there may be practical reasons for not giving the full suite of benefits (HMRC in the link below use the rather silly example of not giving a company car to someone on a 3 month FTC due to the cost).

    You become a permanent employee if you're on a FTC for 4 or more years, although there seems to be a sneaky get-out from this.

    Fixed-term employment contracts - GOV.UK
    Yeah, I know - but you're generally recruited by an agency in IT.
    I'm saying that FTCs *could* be an alternative to both umbrellas and inside/outside determinations as a replacement for contracts. with the right wording. Obviously there would be a general binning off of FTCs after, say, 22 months, but it's a way for both clients and contractors to carry on "as is" as close as possible (apart from the obvious massive hit to two-director MyCos.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  3. #13

    Contractor Among Contractors

    wattaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    ...but it's a way for both clients and contractors to carry on "as is" as close as possible (apart from the obvious massive hit to two-director MyCos.
    It absolutely is not. FTC rate are permie equivalent; who in their right mind would take that for a short-term, no commitment gig?
    ---

    Former member of IPSE.


    ---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

    ---

  4. #14

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    12,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wattaj View Post
    It absolutely is not. FTC rate are permie equivalent; who in their right mind would take that for a short-term, no commitment gig?
    Ah, you're missing my point - these FTC gigs would be at traditional contract rates (using the standard contract calculator perhaps).
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  5. #15

    Contractor Among Contractors

    wattaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    Ah, you're missing my point - these FTC gigs would be at traditional contract rates (using the standard contract calculator perhaps).
    Good luck with that.
    ---

    Former member of IPSE.


    ---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

    ---

  6. #16

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    Ah, you're missing my point - these FTC gigs would be at traditional contract rates (using the standard contract calculator perhaps).
    But that's not what FTC's are. They are employment so would include benefits and be on a pro-rata rate.

    I think you are on the right track of creating something new but FTC's are very well defined and contractor rates do not come in to them.

    Maybe it's just a terminology thing.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #17

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    12,171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    But that's not what FTC's are. They are employment so would include benefits and be on a pro-rata rate.

    I think you are on the right track of creating something new but FTC's are very well defined and contractor rates do not come in to them.

    Maybe it's just a terminology thing.
    FTC2.0?

    I'm just trying to think outside the box to give contractors and clients what they have now, or as close as they can without the hassle of thinking about IR35. FTC gets you your employee perks but takes away your slidiing rate calculations for salary vs divis and still make working-away contracts viable for all.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  8. #18

    Fingers like lightning

    GigiBronz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    on the run
    Posts
    529

    Default

    My humble opinion is that you are wasting your time here.
    Ir35 was step 1, carving out alternative employment methods. Step 2 will be loosening employment rights. And you have a new employment model that greatly benefits the employer.
    On the side, paid health insurance will creep in and the points based immigration system will enable access to resources across the globe.
    Welcome to capitalism 2.0. Will we be better off? Considering the imbalance in a negotiation between the two parties, I would think not.
    To answer you question, we will be most likely all on FTC’s but without stipulated end date. All we can do is adapt.
    Last edited by GigiBronz; 31st January 2020 at 16:34.

  9. #19

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    671

    Default

    I've definitely seen more FTC roles come up in the last month or two. The HR department at my last client thought FTC was most likely the long term 'solution' to IR35 for them. Not sure about that but I saw one recently for a three year fixed term Head of IT which seemed ridiculous.

  10. #20

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    632

    Default

    You don't have to worry about IR35 if you declare someone inside. There is no penalty for wrong inside determination.

    You only need a couple of things in the contract to ensure is not going to be appealed, for example no right to substitute and a that the work will be done by named person only.

    Even if there is appeal, you can just terminate the contract or re-iterate why it is inside from the beginning.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •