• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interested to know people's plans for next 1-2 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just been offered an 85K permie gig on the back of two 'phone calls.

Comment

Flying by the seat of my pants. Life is too short to become another corporate stooge.

Comment

Current contract has been deemed outside. Will take it from there.

Comment

Plan B self-employed local business, with a cloud based web app add-on service as a potential 'passive' income generator to use the latest skills for the CV should I ever get dragged back into the corporate game. Got enough savings (previously known as 'the war chest') after closing my Ltd that I can afford to give it a year and see how it goes.

Have cut my living expenses as much as I am comfortable with so don't need to chase the big money.

I have no current motivation to go back to contracting (and even less motivation to go permie) but would entertain the inside gigs and bang the 40k annual limit into a pension via the pre-tax brolly route like I did in my last contract.

Figure it's time to start spending more time living than working so have an eye on semi-retirement until I'm old enough to actually retire. It does mean my motivation to crack on with generating an income is the toughest task I face each day, there's always a distraction that when I think about it is a better way to fill the day. Today that's mostly watching the cricket, I'm easily pleased.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Current gig ends 28/2. Been offered a temp BA leading to perm at same client. Politely turned it down.

I'm going to take a break, holiday, bit of golf etc. 2 years back I did the same and starting doing gardening jobs in my village which was hugely enjoyable.

Going to see what happens when (if) things settle down. May retire but not quite sure I am ready yet.
            We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Focus on overseas contracts for now.

Comment

figure out a way to stay afloat, probably contract for smaller firms that are exempt from IR35.

But most importantly, avoid any ****ers like the plague that have banned PSC's. Also spread that to any other contractor I can find. Personally I want them to suffer.

Comment

Originally posted by mgrover View Post
                  figure out a way to stay afloat, probably contract for smaller firms that are exempt from IR35.

But most importantly, avoid any ****ers like the plague that have banned PSC's. Also spread that to any other contractor I can find. Personally I want them to suffer.
                  Clientco was only offering FTC (and then not to everyone) or PAYE via Agency so I quit (had only been there 4 months anyway - most of my gigs are short).

Have some remote work with a foreign clientco which I hope will tide me over.

Agree about Clientcos with PSC bans and am planning on changing personal away from HSBC bank for this reason.

Comment

Originally posted by mgrover View Post

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Clientco was only offering FTC (and then not to everyone) or PAYE via Agency so I quit (had only been there 4 months anyway - most of my gigs are short).

Have some remote work with a foreign clientco which I hope will tide me over.

Agree about Clientcos with PSC bans and am planning on changing personal away from HSBC bank for this reason.

they'll be quaking in their boots.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Many of those options are short term or so small it's irrelevant so not really a list of options.

If you really were open to a list of potential options that will see you through to better times then I think it's very short sighted (and incorrect) relate perm to 'shackles' and discount the option. There are many contractors here that have gone perm and are enjoying it, as do the perms that have never worked any way. I'd re-align your thinking so you make the most of any opportunity that comes along, not get blinkered due to an incorrect attitude.
                      Originally posted by youngguy View Post
                      No argument here (so don't expect another response!) and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I also respect your desire to find confrontation in every post and I would never judge someone's hobby.

I would however suggest it's a little closed minded to determine that someone else's personal view is wrong/short sighted. Perm may be a route for some and that's cool. It's not for me right now. Just like I don't much like broccoli. I suspect that might offend you as well on some level!

Perhaps I'm not the one who needs to re-align their thinking. Just a thought ;0)
                      I have to say, I would be inclined to agree with you and I've commented on the same thing with northern lad before. Perhaps pretty confrontational at times. That said, I couldn't agree with him more here. I think he's potentially saving you from a world of pain.

Comment

Working...
                      X