• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interested to know people's plans for next 1-2 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Many of those options are short term or so small it's irrelevant so not really a list of options.

If you really were open to a list of potential options that will see you through to better times then I think it's very short sighted (and incorrect) relate perm to 'shackles' and discount the option. There are many contractors here that have gone perm and are enjoying it, as do the perms that have never worked any way. I'd re-align your thinking so you make the most of any opportunity that comes along, not get blinkered due to an incorrect attitude.
    I agree there can be some good perm jobs. But for me making the most in the next 2 years is important so i will take a few months off and update my skills to increase my chances of getting a good contract. inside or outside will not really matter as long as the rate is good..
    then off to Vietnam ,,,

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post
      I have to say, I would be inclined to agree with you and I've commented on the same thing with northern lad before. Perhaps pretty confrontational at times. That said, I couldn't agree with him more here. I think he's potentially saving you from a world of pain.
      Could you explain why you believe that post is confrontational? Again.. All I see is cold hard facts.

Is it possible it's a combination of me being a bit blunt and a little bit of snowflakeness on the other side? You want to go post a daft question on mumsnet. Then you'll see confrontational.

If you (both) think that's harsh the you ain't seen nothing yet sorry.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 11 February 2020, 01:57.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
        With the impending doom, I'm working on the assumption outside roles will be few and far between, at least for a year or two.

I'm therefore considering:-
        - taking a few months out
        - inside role at new client
        - find an umbrella that does salary sacrifice into my pension (or I can do a transfer)
        - ~£3,000 into pension every month to be as tax efficient as possible
        - keep ltd open and top up salary with dividends as needed (trying to stay under 40% tax)
        - try to negotiate a smaller accountancy fee
        - see what the market looks like in 18-20months and then either MVL (if it exists!) and stay umbrella or go perm.....or if the market has recovered a bit, back to outside roles.

I came to the realisation when I was in a perm interview last week that I'm not mentally ready for those shackles , regardless of what it does to my income
        In short, I am not at all sure what my next move(s) will be. Having stated to my client that, subjected to their not even considering having an audience with me to discuss their decisions for, and understanding of, IR35 and my future, that I will leave at the end of the contract. Their only offer to go paye was given short shrift due to the above. 27th March will therefore be my last day.

I cannot close MyCo because it also holds rental property.

So, what now?

1. I/we might get an Airbnb in Corfu for a month. At least to clear the head and rebaseline the system.
        2. I might consider trying to get into the film industry - a previously aborted attempt from my 20's which went nowhere because I couldn't see how to make a living out of it. I am no longer in that position. But neither am I in my 20's. (gulp)
        3. I might look into contracting abroad. Brexit notwithstanding.
        4. I might go the other way and look for the smallest and least well paid project possible and deliver that - even if it is Inside. The thinking here being that there would at least be an equivalent net tax income to the HMRC.
        5. A complete unknown to do other things with MyCo but I really have no idea at this juncture.
        6. I won't be going Perm. (I can promise this)
        7. I won't be angry. (I can't promise this) (I am trying to see this as a Life Opportunity but am not quite there yet)

Best to all.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

they'll be quaking in their boots.

You are of course welcome to make this observation and I am not under any illusion. I've decided not to do business with outfits I don't like, is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Plan B self-employed local business
            Sounds good - what kind of thing?

Comment

Could you explain why you believe that post is confrontational? Again.. All I see is cold hard facts.

Is it possible it's a combination of me being a bit blunt and a little bit of snowflakeness on the other side? You want to go post a daft question on mumsnet. Then you'll see confrontational.

If you (both) think that's harsh the you ain't seen nothing yet sorry.
              Haha what a badass.

You seemed to miss my point there, by the way. Entirely. I was backing what you said. Relax.

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post
                Haha what a badass.

You seemed to miss my point there, by the way. Entirely. I was backing what you said. Relax.
                Which I saw and thank you for making that point. Just trying to understand what I'd said confrontational in that post.

We've had a couple of people get really upset by pure facts from some of our more respected posters so definitely getting flack for solid advice from those not maybe used to anonymous forums. I make enough of a tit of myself normally without getting pulled up for posts I thought were actually OK
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Which I saw and thank you for making that point. Just trying to understand what I'd said confrontational in that post.

We've had a couple of people get really upset by pure facts from some of our more respected posters so definitely getting flack for solid advice from those not maybe used to anonymous forums. I make enough of a tit of myself normally without getting pulled up for posts I thought were actually OK
                  This is crossed wires, I meant I've commented on you being perhaps a bit confrontational in the past. Your post in this thread wasn't, in my opinion.

In either case, I agree with you in this thread. I probably shouldn't have went arse ways about in conveying that.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                    Sounds good - what kind of thing?
                    Digital handyman style service as a starting point and foot in the door.

Seeing as I've been the tech go-to for my extended family whenever they need something doing I figure there are loads of people wanting similar but not sure what they need or how to set it up.

This will only increase as more tech is brought into the home with IoT, Alexa type control, home automation, connected security (video doorbells and web based CCTV), ...

I've seen plenty of the traditional handyman adverts in the local press and publications but only the odd computer fixer type ad which isn't my target audience, it's more the non-tech savvy that may not have a computer but will likely have a tablet or smartphone. Being non-tech savvy they won't know I'm winging it on some of this stuff, as it changes so fast I just end up searching online for the current best hardware/kit and how to set it up whenever a family member wants something doing.

Bonus being I don't intend to make a fortune, more part-time than working all hours, as I am going to keep it small and local (under the higher tax threshold) so self-employed should work rather than all the faff with Ltd, though if it is successful then the salary sacrifice aspect of Ltd will become attractive. Goal is to cover monthly living costs so may saving and investments are preserved and do as little actual work as possible.

Going to use the lean startup approach so I don't waste too much effort on things before finding out exactly what the locals want/need from such a service. Though I'm taking such a lean approach I've done almost nothing so far this year other than identify the minimum stuff I need before contacting first potential customers, and slowly getting that in place, it's been so part-time I feel this may be what retirement is like.

If nothing much comes out of it I'll put it down as local community charity work on the CV.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      Digital handyman style service as a starting point and foot in the door.

Seeing as I've been the tech go-to for my extended family whenever they need something doing I figure there are loads of people wanting similar but not sure what they need or how to set it up.
                      I'd thought of this but not sure how to make any money - no-one I know wants to pay for this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X