• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Jobs boards are now the main ones for contract roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It does and despite endless questions he's been asking the last few days he doesn't appear to want to take anything on or learn. He thinks differently, or the opposite, which would make me wonder why he's asking at all.
    Not adding anything but happy to chat four hours. Wonder if he's bipolar?
    'cos he's really JtB? or mb32 or whatever?

Comment

It does and despite endless questions he's been asking the last few days he doesn't appear to want to take anything on or learn. He thinks differently, or the opposite, which would make me wonder why he's asking at all.
      Not adding anything but happy to chat four hours. Wonder if he's bipolar?

Either way I've made my mind up so..

Thanks for the feedback - but what do you mean by, "doesn't want to take on anything or learn"?

Frankly, it was a quiet day, and I thought I'd invest some time on this board that I'd only recently joined. I put some time in responding to an interesting post. That's why I'm here.

I certainly didn't expect to have my mental health evaluated. Does thinking differently worry you?

And - definitely not Bipolar.

32?

Comment

Originally posted by Disguised Contractor View Post
        Thanks for the feedback - but what do you mean by, "doesn't want to take on anything or learn"?

Frankly, it was a quiet day, and I thought I'd invest some time on this board that I'd only recently joined. I put some time in responding to an interesting post. That's why I'm here.

I certainly didn't expect to have my mental health evaluated. Does thinking differently worry you?

And - definitely not Bipolar.

32?
        Probably 37
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I don't care how niche or in demand your skills are, if there isn't the projects around you aren't going to get the work. Anyone sitting there thinking their magic CV is going to see them walking into outside of IR35 contract in the next 12 months is soon in for a shock.

Comment

Well this thread as cheered me up no end...
            As you are all walking out of contracting I was looking to get back in.
            For those of you looking for something else - that was me 5 plus years ago. I did my own thing, provided hosting services, sold software, offered seo work etc etc no middle man. It can be a lonely road with income up and down quicker than loose knickers.

it's going to be an interesting rest of the year

Comment

It's a massive jump to go permie, not that there will be many of them about either, and same numbers applying, so its no where near as simple as you think. You will always be there thinking that the one contract you need will pop up today, no need to go perm. I could be on the bench 6 months and still earn more than a perm as well so you'll ignore it for 4 or 5 months and when the realization hits perm is the way you've already spent the time on the bench.
              This.

That's if you can get an interview. HR can have a tendency to view applications from erstwhile contractors with suspicion.

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
                This.

That's if you can get an interview. HR can have a tendency to view applications from erstwhile contractors with suspicion.
                Where I work as a permie (was a contractor, took perm offer when the IR35 reform thing was being pushed towards the private sector), all the contractors have now been forced perm or terminated. They are never taking on contractors again. Going back 10 years there were over 1000 IT contractors there, now there are exactly zero.

All future IT work goes to InfoSys and some other niche consultancies doing body shopping.

Perm roles are few and far between there in IT. They don't have a problem with ex-contractors being hired as permies though, because they see them leaving again for contracting as very unlikely now. Speaking to HR they think most people in the industry inside IR35 will take up permie roles eventually, and outside IR35 roles will dwindle and wither on the vine.

Comment

Which for the HMRC, sounds as though that there will be a net zero increase in tax revenues from your company's workforce...

Am sure even this will be deemed an absolute success though.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                    Which for the HMRC, sounds as though that there will be a net zero increase in tax revenues from your company's workforce...

Am sure even this will be deemed an absolute success though.
                    I would agree. Overall there will lower income and lower overall tax take. Some companies like mine will be pushing more to mostly Indian bodyshops, where the people are paid in India and just receive a minimum amount in the UK and live a very basic life here.

But it will be declared an incredible success by HMRC in pursuit of "fairness".

Comment

I see many more agents post details of gigs on LinkedIn compared to 12-18 months ago, especially for senior roles/higher paying gigs. You should definitely keep it on your radar.

I had a recent trawl through the various job boards I used to look at and agree with some of the posters above that the main ones haven't really changed - Jobserve plus the stable of Total Jobs (CW Jobs, Jobsite etc.) One that I used to look at a lot and seems to have gone downhill is Indeed.

Ultimately though, the number of applications for most jobs via these sites is getting so large that even if you're a brilliant candidate fit, you may struggle to get identified by the Applicant Tracking System keyword filter and land on the Recruiter's initial longlist of CVs. Continue to use them by all means but your best weapon these days is your network.

Comment

Working...
                      X