• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of I.T. jobs in the U.K.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by founder View Post
    As much as I hate commuting to the London office I have to see 100% agree with this. As a person in charge of outsourcing (a recent move away from contracting cause its dead) I'm not even looking at UK contractors because of the price.
    What do you outsource? And curious what countries you are looking at then? Somewhere in eastern europe? or south/southeast asia? How is the quality compared to local talent?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just PAYE local talent and you'd end up with higher quality people? Or does the nature of the work or company policy dictate that it needs to be external contractors/suppliers?

Just curious as I've rarely seen the case that outsourced offshore tech resources are cheaper than local PAYE tech talent.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      What do you outsource? And curious what countries you are looking at then? Somewhere in eastern europe? or south/southeast asia? How is the quality compared to local talent?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just PAYE local talent and you'd end up with higher quality people? Or does the nature of the work or company policy dictate that it needs to be external contractors/suppliers?

Just curious as I've rarely seen the case that outsourced offshore tech resources are cheaper than local PAYE tech talent.
      Latest survey I saw was that for development costs London and Sofia were actually equal (Sofia is cheaper, London coders are more productive). My experience is that Bulgaria is OK once you found their decent developer rather than the other 9 you were being given first.

If you are outsourcing work to freelancers directly sending work abroad is cheaper but you want individuals rather than companies.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
        Yes but he changed his mind a month ago and seems to be encouraging Barclays staff to return to the office long term.

Barclays: We want our people back in the office - BBC News
        Boris obviously had a word to get him on side

Comment

My client too has just switched from a remote is the default, to, in office is the default unless agreed on a day by day basis.

So crammed into a virus pit. I hope the old gray bastards at the top all die from it.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

So crammed into a virus pit. I hope the old gray bastards at the top all die from it.
            The old gray bastards at the top will be fine, self-isolating in their spacious socially distanced offices.

I wonder when we'll get the first family suing a family member's former employer for forcing them to return to the office and them contracting and subsequently dying from Covid.
            Last edited by Paralytic; 2 September 2020, 11:16.

Comment

Lets wait till the poor weather in winter.

Few power cuts/ internet connection issues.

Number times offshore resources have been offline. Typhoons/powercuts etc.

Personally feel WFH and office need to both coexist.

Unless we all go out and buy generators and install second internet lines, to ensure resilience.

I have had contracts that were WFH apart from events that involved production, then onsite is required.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                My client too has just switched from a remote is the default, to, in office is the default unless agreed on a day by day basis.

What does that mean in English? Sorry, I dont do gobbledygook.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDogsNads View Post
                  What does that mean in English? Sorry, I dont do gobbledygook.
                  If you can't understand the item you've quoted I don't think English is your first language it really is very clear

My client too has just switched from a remote is the default
                  We were working from home - all the time
                  to, in office is the default unless agreed on a day by day basis.
                  We (at client) are now working in the office - all the time

So crammed into a virus pit.
                  Social distancing is an issue
                  I hope the old gray bastards at the top all die from it.
                  Don't need to explain that
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                    The old gray bastards at the top will be fine, self-isolating in their spacious socially distanced offices.

I wonder when we'll get the first family suing a family member's former employer for forcing them to return to the office and them contracting and subsequently dying from Covid.
                    I haven't been following all the legislation but if they haven't already been given immunity they will be soon. You won't be able to sue them.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                      I haven't been following all the legislation but if they haven't already been given immunity they will be soon. You won't be able to sue them.
                      What legislation have you not been following? And what form of legislation would be able to prohibit someone from suing a company?

Comment

Working...
                      X