• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

leavers procedures and notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leavers procedures and notice period

Hello there ! Yes I am a newbie and yes I am on my first contract with an umbrella company..and yes, I ve tried to search for other threads but.. here I am.. that's my situation:

I am negotiating with an umbrella company (Giant) for a 12 months contract with a recruitment agency on a behalf of a communication agency (too many intermediaries!!).. I am on a final stage and I just need to sign all the terms and conditions. But.. I received an invitation for a second interview for a more appealing permanent role and I can't hold anymore the process with Giant, it needs to be sorted out asap.

So if I am gonna sign it and then change my mind ..and go for the permanent role, what could happen?

Giant specifically said in an email, when I asked about leavers procedures and notice period:

a) Immediate notice if you have been continuously employed for less than 1 month;
    b) 8 weeks' notice if you have been continuously employed for 1 month or more but less than four years.
    This is a ‘no working’ notice period. This means that you are not necessarily required to be working during this time and so are free to be employed elsewhere or sign on to Job Seekers Allowance during your notice period.

But I have a 4 weeks notice with the final company (the communication agency)....could I still go with the immediate notice?

Then, I can't understand the point B. If I am not required to work, why would they ask for 8 weeks notice period?

Sorry if I am asking silly questions, I am trying to "find out properly"..

Thank you very much for your help!

You have a contract of employment with Giant. In the first month, you can leave with no notice. After that, you need to give 8 weeks notice.

Giant have a contract with the agency to provide your services in line with the contract between them. That has a notice period of four weeks.

As a guess, I'd say that if you are in the first month then you are fine - you can leave Giant immediately, regardless of the impact on the client. After that, you would have to work the notice period, and if they require you to work for the client then you should do that.

Whether they could / would sue you if you refused is a question that I can't answer.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I would suggest that you don't sign anything until you have made a decision; if you haven't signed an employment contract with your umbrella company then you have no reason to concern yourself with the notice period
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I would also go with Contractor Umbrella and not Giant.. HTH...
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I would also go with Contractor Umbrella and not Giant.. HTH...
          Sometimes you just say the nicest things NLUK
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
          X