Commercial activity Commercial activity
Posts 1 to 5 of 5

Nervous Newbie

Default Commercial activity

Hi all,

I've been reading some threads, but I found nothing about commercial activity (or business generation).
    I was contractor in Spain and now moved to UK, as a Contractor, through an Umbrella.

Part of my activity is related to maintain my current contract, renew it or even increase it (more people working for me). Those commercial activities, in Spain, are allowed to be claimed as expenses, because are part of the business continuity itself. No commercial activity, no business.

The kind of commercial activity I'm referring to are: group lunch/dinners (with clients), conference invites, etc.

My current umbrella is preventing me to claim these expenses. Is this correct?

Double Godlike!

Yes.

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by stek View Post
    Yes.
    Uhum...
    And what about companies? Are companies allowed to charge as expenses their commercial activity?

Faqqed Off

Quote Originally Posted by bellver View Post
    Uhum...
    And what about companies? Are companies allowed to charge as expenses their commercial activity?
    Yes. Whether they are valid for corporation tax purposes is a different question, though.

For example, client entertaining isn't deductible and you can't claim the VAT back.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Umbrella Queen

Quote Originally Posted by bellver View Post
    Uhum...
    You would be able to put the costs through the business but you wouldn't necessarily be able to claim them as expenses BIM45000 - Specific deductions: entertainment: introduction: contents
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015