• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giant won't accept receipted claims for evening meals with overnight stay - why?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by threespines View Post
    Please explain!
    HMRC are proposing new legislation, which is currently under consultation, which means that if your client or agency or umbrella company has the right of supervision or direction or control over you, you won't be able to claim for tax relief against travel and subsistence costs from April 2016
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      HMRC are proposing new legislation, which is currently under consultation, which means that if your client or agency or umbrella company has the right of supervision or direction or control over you, you won't be able to claim for tax relief against travel and subsistence costs from April 2016
      Thank you, Lisa. An ... interesting development!

Comment

Originally posted by threespines View Post
        Thank you, Lisa. An ... interesting development!
        That's certainly one way of putting it

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Well I've worked for a number of the big consultancies perm in the past. Generally they contract their consultants as home based contractually, and expense all their travel whenever they leave the home address - working on client sites and so on. How are umbrellas any different?

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
            Well I've worked for a number of the big consultancies perm in the past. Generally they contract their consultants as home based contractually, and expense all their travel whenever they leave the home address - working on client sites and so on. How are umbrellas any different?
            They're not but consultancies will be exempt from the new legislation. Possibly because they are involved in so many Public Sector contracts

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

They're not but consultancies will be exempt from the new legislation. Possibly because they are involved in so many Public Sector contracts
              Thanks for the reply Lisa.

That just leaves more questions. What happens to contractors contracted into consultancies? Currently many are on similar expenses deals. What is the legal definition of a consultancy that sets them apart? What will stop umbrellas morphing into "consultancies"?

Sounds very badly thought through and ill advised. Why should I take a role far away from home if I have to spend taxed money on the travel and accommodation? So it will reduce workforce mobility which is exactly what the country doesn't need.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                Thanks for the reply Lisa.

That just leaves more questions. What happens to contractors contracted into consultancies? Currently many are on similar expenses deals. What is the legal definition of a consultancy that sets them apart? What will stop umbrellas morphing into "consultancies"?

Sounds very badly thought through and ill advised. Why should I take a role far away from home if I have to spend taxed money on the travel and accommodation? So it will reduce workforce mobility which is exactly what the country doesn't need.

Cheers
                Sorry it took a while to reply CoolCat - have been away.

You're right it is badly thought out. As far as a legal definition of a consultancy is concerned, I have no idea - I don't know if there is one. HMRC's opinion is

"professional service firms that second staff to clients will not be caught by the new rules as their business is not substantially in the supply of labour"

I can see businesses going to considerable lengths to rebrand so that they can be considered as a consultancy and therefore strengthen their position in the market place

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

"professional service firms that second staff to clients will not be caught by the new rules as their business is not substantially in the supply of labour"
                  The only polite thing I can say about that is bull.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    The only polite thing I can say about that is bull.
                    Well quite

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                    X