• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take home differences PAYE+ National insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take home differences PAYE+ National insurance

Right, so i'm new to contracting and have decided to take the umbrella route as i'm not sure if this is long term.

Anyway, I have been quoted..

Giant:

Employers NI:£2844
    PAYE tax: £3624
    Employees NI: £2479

Paysteam:
    Employers NI: £3078
    PAYE TAX: £3962
    Employees NI: £2683

I was under the impression that the only difference should be the difference in company margin. This is nearly £800 in differences per year!!!

Am I being robbed? I thought Paystream was reputable as it has won the ContractorUK reader awards.

I would appreciate it if someone could explain. Thanks

Paystream assumptions:

* On PAYE your agency should accrue holiday pay for you at 14.54% of your gross pay.

* We have not included earnings from any other sources this tax year.

* Our monthly margin has been deducted before any payments are made to you. The net cost to you could be as little as £45.87
    * Calculations are based on working 12 months in a year and we have applied monthly tax allowances.
    This a difference in nearly £800 per year

Giant assumptions:

1) Tax year 2015/2016
    2) Standard single person allowance of 1060L
    3) 52 weeks per tax year
    4) Business mileage calcuated at 45p per mile for first 10,000 miles annum then 25p thereafter
    5) You have no earnings from other tax sources
    6) You can claim your expenses on a weekly basis in accordance with giant's expenses policy
    7)Net estimated income based on telephone conversation

How much is your take home?
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Ask both providers whether or not they have assumed any expenses in these calculations - if they have that will make a difference to your net pay. If you ask them to re-run their calculations with zero expenses then the figures should be the same other than any differences in the margin charged.
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        Ask both providers whether or not they have assumed any expenses in these calculations - if they have that will make a difference to your net pay. If you ask them to re-run their calculations with zero expenses then the figures should be the same other than any differences in the margin charged.
        It's not rocket surgery really is it ;-)

Given the op hasn't posted any details of the gross pay, the periods it is over etc it makes it somewhat tricky to ascertain where any of the differences may be coming from. Personally the only one I've found presenting reasonably clear figures is this one ;-)

Umbrella Company PAYE Calculator | Contractor Umbrella (though some words about holiday pay deductions and rolling forward and when/how it is paid may perhaps be helpful)

On a guestimate from the figures and assuming both their charges are broadly the same then 800 quid a year difference would imply £4k per year of expenses being assumed in the giant calculation and zero in the paystream one (which does actuallu let you put in an expenses level).

The giant one does not want to give me an example without emailing me and also uses the magic words

"* based on average weekly expenses"

I'm thinking there is a strong chance this number is somewhere around 80 quid a week.

Comment

Working...
        X