• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Huge" umbrella company problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    This is my hope!

My hopes are fracturing...the response is that they "process the maximum expenses for each contract" - I'm not sure what that means or how that would help me since I've not made a claim for £100.73...does this make any sense? My query about the minimal tax withholdings was totally ignored.

I think I may have to make a phone call tomorrow to ask them what is involved in terminating my relationship with them...
    The phrase 'maximum expenses' concerns me - an umbrella company can only allow tax relief on costs that the contractor incurs that would be accepted by HMRC as allowable expenses. I would ask for a breakdown of the £100.73; I would not be surprised to see an amount for daily subsistence.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

It's just general unhelpfulness: check the portal to see a breakdown of your expenses, totally ignoring the fact that what's in the portal is correct; unlike what's in my payslip. I really need to get shut of this ESO or the umbrella. I think today is decision day after yet another phone call.

On the plus side I got my rebate cheque from HMRC today, though I'm apparently still waiting to hear payroll's response to my query about that...ugh.

UPDATE: Just off the phone with Giant. The issue is down to being paid one month in arrears, and the expenses submitted weekly not being paid in arrears, but as received, which is also why none were paid the two weeks following the first payslip. So my misunderstanding, which could have been handled a lot better by my ESO, by explaining things rather than giving me the rote response. Needless to say I've requested a new ESO because I'm thinking the relationship can't be saved there, but I said it wasn't personal, just that he could be more helpful - especially with someone who is new to this thing.

Hat's off to Simon@Giant for the save - sorry Lisa, but I'll be sticking with them for now, but thanks again for your help. Next time I'm umbrella shopping your outfit will be top of the list.
      Last edited by seanraaron; 19 January 2016, 11:37.

Comment

Next time I'm umbrella shopping your outfit will be top of the list.
        She will also be happy if you check in with SJD for an accountancy firm if you decide to go Ltd (Same company)

Comment

Originally posted by AJ1982 View Post
          She will also be happy if you check in with SJD for an accountancy firm if you decide to go Ltd (Same company)
          So is Nixon Williams these days after the venture capitalists took over.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It's just general unhelpfulness: check the portal to see a breakdown of your expenses, totally ignoring the fact that what's in the portal is correct; unlike what's in my payslip. I really need to get shut of this ESO or the umbrella. I think today is decision day after yet another phone call.

On the plus side I got my rebate cheque from HMRC today, though I'm apparently still waiting to hear payroll's response to my query about that...ugh.

Just off the phone with Giant. The issue is down to being paid one month in arrears, and the expenses submitted weekly not being paid in arrears, but as received, which is also why none were paid the two weeks following the first. So my misunderstanding, which could have been handled a lot better by my ESO, by explaining things rather than giving me the rote response. Needless to say I've requested a new ESO because I'm thinking the relationship can't be saved there, but I said it wasn't personal, just that he could be more helpful - especially with someone who is new to this thing.

Hat's off to Simon@Giant for the save - sorry Lisa, but I'll be sticking with them for now, but thanks again for your help. Next time I'm umbrella shopping your outfit will be top of the list.
            Glad you got it sorted
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
            X