• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommendations / Reviews on Umbrella companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
    Will do. You linked to this thread from another. Guess I was being lazy, but I’ll check.

My contract is up in a couple of months. An extension is going to be offered, which I may take short term, but under an umbrella. Gives me time to get my ltd company dissolved before April 2020 and then I have options to what happens next. I won’t start the new enterprise discussed in other threads till a contract is in place.

Merely keeping my options open at this time.
    "Keeping options open" and "Closing my company" do not really align... For one thing HMRC may look a little more closely at people phoenixing to get around the 2020 changes.

Indications seem to be that, unlike the dummies in the public sector, most companies are taking a rather more proactive approach. Unlike the PS, they aren't scared to make minor changes if it saves them 20% on their direct costs. Even some smarter agencies have figured out there is an opportunity to build future business. Personally I'd wait a while longer - perhaps to the end of the year - and see how the market is developing
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      "Keeping options open" and "Closing my company" do not really align... For one thing HMRC may look a little more closely at people phoenixing to get around the 2020 changes.

Indications seem to be that, unlike the dummies in the public sector, most companies are taking a rather more proactive approach. Unlike the PS, they aren't scared to make minor changes if it saves them 20% on their direct costs. Even some smarter agencies have figured out there is an opportunity to build future business. Personally I'd wait a while longer - perhaps to the end of the year - and see how the market is developing
      Won’t be far off end of year, but yes. Why I started posting here to understand options, implications, and so on. All good debate and its really helping me decide.

Comment

Umbrellas trialing

I've used RACS and Orange Genie which have been good in earlier contracts.
        Have a look on this site and enter your umbrella for a first point of call maybe: ww w.freelancesupermarket.com

I've just provisionally signed up with a company via an agency with 2 prefered Umbrellas: PayMe and InSync. Does any one know anything about them that is positive? I can't find anything to flood me with the desire to go with them.

Can I select my own (which would be acceptable for the employer)?

Thanks for your help.
        Last edited by cojak; 13 November 2019, 16:33. Reason: removed link

Comment

Originally posted by Plot72 View Post
          I've just provisionally signed up with a company via an agency with 2 prefered Umbrellas: PayMe and InSync. Does any one know anything about them that is positive? I can't find anything to flood me with the desire to go with them.
          Nothing on the InSync website about an umbrella offering that I can see, in fact very little on there at all. PayMe have been around for some time, but don't know much about them. Best advice pick up the phone to any umbrella you are considering so you can get a real feel for what they are offering.

Can I select my own (which would be acceptable for the employer)?
          This is probably very much down to the agency as the funds are passed from the agency to the brolly, but always worth an ask, any compliant umbrella will be able to provide the relevant documents to support that they are working within HMRC guidelines

Comment

Great advice

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
            Nothing on the InSync website about an umbrella offering that I can see, in fact very little on there at all. PayMe have been around for some time, but don't know much about them. Best advice pick up the phone to any umbrella you are considering so you can get a real feel for what they are offering.

This is probably very much down to the agency as the funds are passed from the agency to the brolly, but always worth an ask, any compliant umbrella will be able to provide the relevant documents to support that they are working within HMRC guidelines
            Thanks that's really helpful info, I could only find stuff on PayMe at the freelancesupermarket.com where they appeared 58th of 158 brollies. For a brolly that's been around a while, doesn't that seem a little low in the list? However they aren't on the FCSA membership list, should I be concerned about that? I'll have a chat with them tomorrow morning. Would I still be able to go with my own choice?

Comment

Thanks that's really helpful info, I could only find stuff on PayMe at the freelancesupermarket.com where they appeared 58th of 158 brollies. For a brolly that's been around a while, doesn't that seem a little low in the list? However they aren't on the FCSA membership list, should I be concerned about that? I'll have a chat with them tomorrow morning. Would I still be able to go with my own choice?
              Not sure how freelancesupermarket rank the umbrella's tbh and looking over the list it is not that up to date either based on what I know of the umbrella's out there, so probably not the best way to choose. We are not yet FCSA registered, but I know we operate compliantly, so again just make sure you do your due diligence on the company.

As I mentioned previously the question would need to be posed to the agency as to whether you could use a brolly of your own choice

Comment

Lucy is completely correct. A compliant umbrella will be able to provide all necessary documentation to the agency to satisfy their requirements.

The FCSA is very much smoke & mirrors, as it was created by the directors of some of the larger umbrellas to monopolise the industry. An accreditation from the FCSA really doesn't mean much, as I know at least 2 of the umbrellas listed on there operate some form of scheme.

My understanding is that an agency cannot force you to use an umbrella on their PSL, unless they can prove their under no financial gain from their preferred supplier? Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by Hanbanthankyoumam View Post
                  My understanding is that an agency cannot force you to use an umbrella on their PSL, unless they can prove their under no financial gain from their preferred supplier? Can anyone confirm this?
                  There is no legal case for this, but I have seen contractors walk from an assignment if pushed to use one from a PSL. It's a catch 22 really, if you need the assignment, you may well have no choice

Comment

Another list, any good, bad or uglys?

Giant Professional Limited (Company Reg number 07872025)
                    JSA (Company Reg number 02407547)
                    Umbrella Contracts Limited (Company Reg number SC192044)
                    Brookson Solutions Limited (Company Reg number 05975526)
                    Paystream MyMax 3 Limited (Company Reg number 07708464)
                    Independent Contractor Services Limited (Company Reg number 04399985)
                    Pontoon by any chance?

Comment

Another list, any good, bad or uglys?

Giant Professional Limited (Company Reg number 07872025)
                      JSA (Company Reg number 02407547)
                      Umbrella Contracts Limited (Company Reg number SC192044)
                      Brookson Solutions Limited (Company Reg number 05975526)
                      Paystream MyMax 3 Limited (Company Reg number 07708464)
                      Independent Contractor Services Limited (Company Reg number 04399985)
                      Whom did you go with in the end? I am in a similar situation

Comment

Working...
                      X