• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella calculations and why they differ!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Thanks Lucy - I was thinking of something on the "what to watch out for" to prevent new contractors being tempted down the dark path.
    That kind of info should go here http://forums.contractoruk.com/showthread.php?t=118859
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      That kind of info should go here PS & IR35: Choosing a legitimate Umbrella
      Thanks Cojak. Leave it with me and I will see what I can put together - we have seen some brilliant ones recently!

Comment

No genuine advice here as it's full of HMRC employees pretending to be contractors

Just look at the amount of posts per profile it says it all

Comment

Originally posted by the heron View Post
          No genuine advice here as it's full of HMRC employees pretending to be contractors

Because post count proves that!

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by the heron View Post
            Really

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Because post count proves that!

Your stuffed then NorthernLad looking at the amount of posts! How was life with the revenue???

Comment

Originally posted by midlandlass View Post
                Your stuffed then NorthernLad looking at the amount of posts! How was life with the revenue???
                Making a mint out of these suckers asking for advice and hunting them down when they clearly don't have a clue thank you!!!
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I thought it may be worth resurecting this a little with the queries that are currently appearing on here!

Let's make one thing clear, HMRC set the taxes so there is very little difference any compliant umbrella company can make to affect the take home, however when you are looking at illustrations these are the things you need to consider:

1. The margin - this may make minimal difference
                  2. Tax Code - usually on a 1250L W1/M1 tax code
                  3. Expenses - some still assume expenses but be aware that as IR35 deems you an employee the likelihood of being able to claim these is slim (as confrimed by HMRC) as they will assume you are under Supervision, Direction & Control.
                  4. Period - look at the days / weeks that are being assumed in the calculation. If a company is quoting based on you working 52 weeks of the year, then your take home is going to be higher. Ask for a more realistic quote!
                  5. Pension - most won't quote with pension unless requested, however it is worth looking out to see if that has been included.
                  6. Holiday Pay - most will not show or show rolled up holiday (ie you have no holiday pay when on leave), if you do want to accrue this then ask for that to be shown on the illustration.

This probably covers most things, but if there is a large take home difference then be very careful. For a 40% tax payer, the average take home from an umbrella (with no pension) is between 52-56%.

Hope this is of use

Comment

Is Employers' NI calculated differently for an umbrella over the usual method of 0% to ST and then 13.8% over and above? The calculator on the Clarity website for £10,000 of monthly income is £1,108.64 but on Listentotaxman is £1,280.73 using 1250L M1 tax code. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by SDR View Post
                      Is Employers' NI calculated differently for an umbrella over the usual method of 0% to ST and then 13.8% over and above? The calculator on the Clarity website for £10,000 of monthly income is £1,108.64 but on Listentotaxman is £1,280.73 using 1250L M1 tax code. Thanks!
                      Hi SDR,
                      Clarity does look at a 1250L M1 figure so one tax free allowance. However I cannot see that this can be taken into account on the Listentotaxman site, therefore will predict earnings for that site on £120k annualised earnings ie removing substantial tax free allowance in the figures.
                      The 1250L M1 looks at an isolated monthly figure rather than annualised.

Comment

Working...
                      X