• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday/sick pay, hours offered etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
    We would deal with them - but for some reason they won't work with us which is ridiculous!
    I avoid that agency where I can but needs must this time. They are without a doubt the biggest bunch of idiots I've ever met.

They wind me up as soon as I speak to them. Is it just me or do you get wound up when an agency says that you're "working for them"? I'm not, we have a business relationship.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

No its just you. You are a supplier, contracted to and paid for by them and are placed at their client. You are working for them.

That said you could argue you are working for your umbrella as you are employed by them.

Anyway, they are just an agency. Who cares what they say as long as you get paid. It's just your long history of hating agents that is the problem.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 7 April 2017, 16:29.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        No its just you. You are a supplier, contracted to and paid for by them and are placed at their client. You are working for them.

That said you could argue you are working for your umbrella as you are employed by them.

Anyway, they are just an agency. Who cares what they say as long as you get paid. It's just your long history of hating agents that is the problem.
        Nope. Some agents are good. Its just some are really bad....

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You are employed now. Why don't you ask your employer?
          Also I take it you negotiated an hr off every other Tuesday to sign on

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
            Also I take it you negotiated an hr off every other Tuesday to sign on
            If only I could do that - extra £75 a week!

Comment

Umbrella are confusing me with this talk about holiday pay/sick pay....

They want to know if I want the company to retain holiday/sick pay or for me to get it - WTF.

It does all come out of your pot doesn't it? i.e. earn £1000 and theres a £1000 there. i.e. there is no free holiday or sick pay. And you dont lose some of it to pay into just in case your sick?

30 days holiday too. WTF. Why? Surely they're not going to pay me for not working?

Much easier with ltd. You work you get paid. You're sick or on hols you dont get paid.

M

Comment

Legally umbrella is your employer hence they are responsible for paying your holiday and sick pay.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Legally umbrella is your employer hence they are responsible for paying your holiday and sick pay.
                  Yes but I understand a lot of the stuff in the contract with them is to cover legislation etc?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Umbrella are confusing me with this talk about holiday pay/sick pay....

They want to know if I want the company to retain holiday/sick pay or for me to get it - WTF.

It does all come out of your pot doesn't it? i.e. earn £1000 and theres a £1000 there. i.e. there is no free holiday or sick pay. And you dont lose some of it to pay into just in case your sick?

M

The retention will be on holiday pay rather than sick pay. You can accrue it which means it comes off your rate/invoice and then gets paid back to you when you take holidays but it's usually 12.07% on top of NMW (yours would be 13.04% based on 30 days), so probably worth about one bottle of sun cream.

If you go for rolled up it's paid over to you each week but, as you state, it is just part of the rate so you're not getting anything extra.

Sick pay should always come out of the umbrella's pocket. Same goes for SSP, SMP etc - plus if the agency don't pay the Umbrella for some reason you're entitled to NMW + Holiday Pay for those hours you worked but didn't get paid per your contract.

So in summary for Stat payments;

Holiday - smoke and mirrors - all comes out of your rate
                    Any other stat payments - comes out of the umbrella company's pocket

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Yes but I understand a lot of the stuff in the contract with them is to cover legislation etc?
                      Yep.

You should really be asking these questions of your umbrella company.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X