• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie for only 3 months contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'd recommend Contractor Umbrella so I can claim my shiny new iPad for the referral.....
    You are only at the Ipad level? My next referral gets me a top of the range MacBook Pro.....

But, more seriously, stick to one of the people that post on here. There is a reason why we usually refer to Contractor Umbrella we know how they work....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
      Take a look at OrangeGenie.

Well done and good luck.

When I took a look they were charging a percentage fee rather than fixed fee per week/month. May work out cheaper if on a low end rate but for me it worked out at double. Er, no thanks.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Hello, don't forget about us! Happy to help if you need us

Comment

Originally posted by jesbelga View Post
          This is my first post. I have got a 3 months contract with the promise of getting permanent afterwards.
          May I suggest a smidgen of sodium chloride?
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Matt FPSGroup View Post
            Hello, don't forget about us! Happy to help if you need us
            Freelance Professional Services is licensed by the Isle of Man Financial Services Authority - other companies licensed by them can be found within the HMRC Scheme Enquiries forum.

and your Take home pay caulcator(sic) talks both about a 15% uplift (whatever that is) offers mileage and quotes a rate that is higher than the agency direct. The words - "wouldn't bargepole with touch a" spring to mind....
            Last edited by eek; 23 May 2017, 14:28.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Freelance Professional Services is licensed by the Isle of Man Financial Services Authority - other companies licensed by them can be found within the HMRC Scheme Enquiries forum.

and your Take home pay caulcator(sic) talks both about a 15% uplift (whatever that is) offers mileage and quotes a rate that is higher than the agency direct. The words - "wouldn't bargepole with touch a" spring to mind....
              FPS have been providing umbrella administration services since 1994. Whilst we have an office in the Isle of Man, the umbrella companies we administer are UK companies with UK banking arrangements – you could pick our office up and move it anywhere in the UK with no change to our services.

Do you believe that HSBC adhere to UK banking regulations, even though their administration is done in India? The same applies here. The umbrella company is a UK company that operates within the normal tax rules. FPS Group administer the company from the Isle of Man.

For the avoidance of doubt, we do not and have never operated an offshore tax avoidance scheme. Our services are standard umbrella, adhering to all relevant HMRC rules and regulations – without exception! That is why we are on the preferred/approved supplier lists for vast swathes of the largest agencies in the country. We meet (and often exceed) their compliance standards. If our solution had any offshore element, this absolutely would not be the case.

To clarify, the 15% uplift referenced is the average difference between what an agency would pay a contractor on PAYE and the rate they pay to an umbrella company. You will find this is standard across the industry.

We are proud of the umbrella administration service we provide and don’t feel the need to be cagey about our location, calculations or compliance.

Comment

FPS have been providing umbrella administration services since 1994. Whilst we have an office in the Isle of Man, the umbrella companies we administer are UK companies with UK banking arrangements – you could pick our office up and move it anywhere in the UK with no change to our services.

Do you believe that HSBC adhere to UK banking regulations, even though their administration is done in India? The same applies here. The umbrella company is a UK company that operates within the normal tax rules. FPS Group administer the company from the Isle of Man.

For the avoidance of doubt, we do not and have never operated an offshore tax avoidance scheme. Our services are standard umbrella, adhering to all relevant HMRC rules and regulations – without exception! That is why we are on the preferred/approved supplier lists for vast swathes of the largest agencies in the country. We meet (and often exceed) their compliance standards. If our solution had any offshore element, this absolutely would not be the case.

To clarify, the 15% uplift referenced is the average difference between what an agency would pay a contractor on PAYE and the rate they pay to an umbrella company. You will find this is standard across the industry.

We are proud of the umbrella administration service we provide and don’t feel the need to be cagey about our location, calculations or compliance.
                So the 15% is some random figure with no basis in fact or reality and is mainly covered be Employers NI that should be being paid.... What percentage of Employers NI will whatever company is paying the umbrella user be paying - for reference the figure other companies including agencies will need to deduct is 13.8% (and another 0.5% for the apprenticeship levy).

That still leaves the question on why you imply that mileage expenses may be allowed when they have not been allowed since April 2015....
                Last edited by eek; 23 May 2017, 16:06. Reason: checked their calculator and it does seem their figures roughly match others so I'll give them a little benefit of doubt

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  That still leaves the question on why you imply that mileage expenses may be allowed when they have not been allowed since April 2015....
                  Yes, you are correct. The mileage used in our calculations is specifically classified as Business Mileage which is on the job mileage excluding home to work travel.

Our online calculator states in its supporting text "HMRC regulations allow you to receive tax relief on business mileage so please add into the calculation if relevant. Note that business mileage does not include home to work travel."

Comment

Oh.. Your appeal was successful??
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes, you are correct. The mileage used in our calculations is specifically classified as Business Mileage which is on the job mileage excluding home to work travel.

Our online calculator states in its supporting text "HMRC regulations allow you to receive tax relief on business mileage so please add into the calculation if relevant. Note that business mileage does not include home to work travel."
                      So as you are ignoring my other comment you agree that that 15% uplift was a figment of your imagination and in reality that 15% is just the Employers NI and Apprenticeship levy that the agency would be paying regardless and that your umbrella is paying instead...

PS this is a sore point with many unions who dislike the tricks many (even legitimate) umbrellas have used to produce pay differentials to encourage people to use an umbrella where in reality the opposite was the case. And your calculator is a perfect example of that claiming an uplift that doesn't exist....
                      Last edited by eek; 26 May 2017, 12:00.

Comment

Working...
                      X