• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on using an umbrella company for first time (& query about why contract with u

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey,

I did give Contractor Umbrella a ring and was happy with how they explained everything.

I've ended up going with MangoPay because they seem fine and my agency said that, although they will let me use any brollie I want, the payment terms for those on their PSL list are 7 days; whereas it's 30 for others.

The agency did say that they could talk to another umbrella company, such as Contractor Umbrella, and try to bring the time to payment down.

For what it's worth, MangoPay are listed as an approved provider here, https://www.professionalpassport.com...id=4&agnid=276.

There are a few things I'm still not sure about:

* MangoPay are saying that I can claim some expenses as long as I don't fall under SDC (& that I can do the SDC Assessment when I start the contract). They've said that this could include 10GPB subsistence/day and possibly transport.
    * The worst-case scenario if going with a dodgy umbrella appears to be that they don't pay what's due to HMRC. MP have given me a breakdown and it seems legit, I guess as long as what they show me on my payslip shows enough tax being paid then that's ok?
    * I'm not too happy with MP's contract not stipulating any details of my rate. Under payment, it says that I'll be paid the national minimum wage plus a bonus. But there is no mention of how much of a bonus. Is this normal? Is there any way to include what I actually expect to receive in remuneration as part of the contract? (I've tried to get in touch with MP about this but they're not picking up. I'm on holiday so ... I'm not spending the day chasing them!)

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by ginjar View Post
      * I'm not too happy with MP's contract not stipulating any details of my rate. Under payment, it says that I'll be paid the national minimum wage plus a bonus. But there is no mention of how much of a bonus. Is this normal? Is there any way to include what I actually expect to receive in remuneration as part of the contract? (I've tried to get in touch with MP about this but they're not picking up. I'm on holiday so ... I'm not spending the day chasing them!)

Thanks again.
      That's normal. The purpose is to ensure you still get holiday pay (which you legally have to receive) from your income. Hence the bonus is something like

bonus = total income - minimum wage for (weeks worked + holiday period) and it continually changes due to how the holiday calculations work. Hence they can't give you an actual figure...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        That's normal. The purpose is to ensure you still get holiday pay (which you legally have to receive) from your income. Hence the bonus is something like

bonus = total income - minimum wage for (weeks worked + holiday period) and it continually changes due to how the holiday calculations work. Hence they can't give you an actual figure...
        Indeed.. Latter end of this article.

How a Compliant Umbrella Company works - All Umbrella Companies Are Equal
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There are a few things I'm still not sure about:

* MangoPay are saying that I can claim some expenses as long as I don't fall under SDC (& that I can do the SDC Assessment when I start the contract). They've said that this could include 10GPB subsistence/day and possibly transport.
          * The worst-case scenario if going with a dodgy umbrella appears to be that they don't pay what's due to HMRC. MP have given me a breakdown and it seems legit, I guess as long as what they show me on my payslip shows enough tax being paid then that's ok?

Thanks again.
          Wouldn't it be great if the MD posted on here and can answer your questions for you hey
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Wouldn't it be great if the MD posted on here and can answer your questions for you hey
            I would be more worried that you cannot get through to them at this early stage

Comment

Hey,

The agency did say that they could talk to another umbrella company, such as Contractor Umbrella, and try to bring the time to payment down.

Thanks again.
              More than happy to speak with them and see what we can do from this end.

* this is standard, the contract rate is calculated on the basic plus bonus (plus any holiday paid back if applicable) less any pension.

Comment

For what it's worth, MangoPay are listed as an approved provider here, https://www.professionalpassport.com...id=4&agnid=276.
                Are they offering to sign you up to Professional Passport as well? That used to be the modus operandi in the past, and given how close that seemed to be to the current PS IR35 rules, I'd be wary if they are.

I thought Crawford Temple had moved on to focus on PRISM but I guess not.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It would indeed but not great enough to sacrifice 7 day payment terms, which is the one really good thing I'm getting out of the arrangement.

Might as well be in nanoseconds compared to how long it usually takes via ltd company!

Comment

I would be more worried that you cannot get through to them at this early stage
                    Yeah, not ideal, but they've generally been good when I do get through - and very quick to get back after I rang up the agency.

Comment

More than happy to speak with them and see what we can do from this end.
                      Thanks but it is just a four week contract and not sure how much I'll be using umbrellas so as long as these guys work for now I'll stick with them - but I'll bear it in mind for future.

Comment

Working...
                      X