• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Co -Self-employed ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ss002d6252 View Post
    The contract with the umbrella company states that there is no employment contract with them, they are deemed as an employer only for the purposes of tax and NI collection by HMRC.
    NOT an umbrella company then, a true umbrella company will have a contract of employment with you - End of.

Comment

Might be worth a quick glance of this previous thread:
      "I have been with Maxipay in Tunbridge Wells and they were awful - I now have a tax bill to pay and can't get any answers from them why I have got it" quoted from https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...-plague-5.html

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
        NOT an umbrella company then, a true umbrella company will have a contract of employment with you - End of.
        Thanks.

Starting to wonder if a change to another umbrella company would be worth it to make sure everything runs OK long term, perhaps the current deal is 'too cozy' for the agency. If another umbrella company is used then does anyone know any who are good for nursing and good give a prediction of what the net wages would be for a certain gross rate ?

This agency already haven't responded to a query that was sent to them nearly a week ago, which doesn't bode well.
        Last edited by ss002d6252; 29 January 2018, 16:39.

Comment

Originally posted by ss002d6252 View Post
          ... does anyone know any who are good for nursing and good give a prediction of what the net wages would be for a certain gross rate ?.
          It should be the same wage wherever you ask with just the margin being the difference. If people are offering higher take home pays it's because a) Dodgy schemes c) Dodgy assumptions in their calculator

If you need a realistic stab at take home pay then I suggest you use the one on the contractorumbrella website - bear in mind though these are only ever illustrations and your own circumstances will affect it depending on previous earnings, tax code, student loan repayments etc.

https://www.contractorumbrella.com/calculator.html

Comment

Originally posted by VelcroPower View Post
            It should be the same wage wherever you ask with just the margin being the difference. If people are offering higher take home pays it's because a) Dodgy schemes c) Dodgy assumptions in their calculator

If you need a realistic stab at take home pay then I suggest you use the one on the contractorumbrella website - bear in mind though these are only ever illustrations and your own circumstances will affect it depending on previous earnings, tax code, student loan repayments etc.

https://www.contractorumbrella.com/calculator.html
            Thanks - a rough estimate will do as I just get some bad vibes about the current setup.

Comment

Band 6 capped rates, 37.5 hours - gross £862 net £521.01 through a well respected umbrella company.

When you take into account sick pay/ holiday/pension not to mention time without work you are worse off than a permanent member of staff.

Comment

Best estimate - if you hit the 40% tax bracket you can expect to take home around 52-56% of your contract day rate - assuming a standard tax code and as said previously assuming no other PAYE earnings etc

Comment

Working...
                X