• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opus bestpay umbrella - do not use it! It's highly toxic!!!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sue at IPAYE View Post
    hey look at that.... a review system for umbrella companies........
    Sadly that site doesn’t solve the actual weakness in that umbrella companies can’t afford to advertise (as any advertising costs need to come from money that customers would rather receive themselves) while dodgy umbrellas have almost unlimited funds to do so.
    Last edited by madame SasGuru; 20 February 2018, 15:10.

Comment

I don't see why CUK does not run simple [and free] background checks before listing agencies or umbrellas.

I digged a little bit, it cost me nothing and it became quickly apparent there is something dodgy. It only took me the best part of 60 minutes to do the checks.

For example, the Director of Opus BestPay is Andrew Sacco. He is coincidentally the director of the Trust Shop, which is located in Malta. The Trust Shop is mentioned in the contracts/loan agreement set up.

There is a lot more, found in Companies House [Company Check service].

Comment

Originally posted by whattheheck View Post
        I don't see why CUK does not run simple [and free] background checks before listing agencies or umbrellas.

I digged a little bit, it cost me nothing and it became quickly apparent there is something dodgy. It only took me the best part of 60 minutes to do the checks.

For example, the Director of Opus BestPay is Andrew Sacco. He is coincidentally the director of the Trust Shop, which is located in Malta. The Trust Shop is mentioned in the contracts/loan agreement set up.

Good for you - I do it and I'll charge you £55...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Tell you what, you tell us the agent who forced you to use them and then we can start a list of agents who are recommending dodgy umbrellas.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The Trust Shop is mentioned in the contracts/loan agreement set up.

Please provide a link on companies house that tells us The Trust Shop is mentioned in the contract/loan agreement that you chose to take out

I should point out that you took out a loan even though all the free advice freely available on this forum clearly tells you to be very wary of schemes like that.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Tell you what, you tell us the agent who forced you to use them and then we can start a list of agents who are recommending dodgy umbrellas.
              Now this is what i would like to see..

Comment

I have just signed up to a new contract, the agency suggested OPUS BESTPAY. I asked to have a bog standard pay arrangement, NI and taxed as usual, plus a weekly fee. They declined and pushed the "LOAN AGREEMENT" scheme forward. I signed up! I did, even though I don't like it. And I did it because I need my pay, I can't live on fresh air, FFS!
                The agency suggested that you use someone. You spoke to them, you asked for something, they suggested something else and you accepted it even though you didn't want to do that, and didn't like it.

I'm fairly sure from reading this thread that it's obvious that the fault of this is with CUK and cojak in particular
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Good for you - I do it and I'll charge you £55...
                  INKSPE
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    INKSPE
                    Discount rates...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Just to bring this thread back to life – I still see some potentially questionable listings under the PAID FOR ‘Umbrella Companies’ section on this site. Would you believe it Bestpaymentservices.co.uk which were called out back in February on this thread, disappeared over night shortly after…who would have guessed that?!?!

Last time ContractorUK were called out for listing potentially dodgy operators in their paid listing they stated “Cheers guys. We do our best to ensure that services on the umbrella listings are your standard PAYE type services. We have knocked back many requests for the 90% style take home schemes and will continue to do so - so be aware that we do check all companies before listing them. Will have a look at this in more detail and will post again shortly.”

No conclusive evidence but certainly a lot of indications telling me your checks are potentially still not up to scratch. A number of the listings in your paid directory appear to be new umbrellas all registered in the last 2 years with near identical website layouts and documentation (based on my web experience it certainly looks to me they are all run by the same operator – indeed some share the same company directors etc). By and large the only new umbrellas to start up in the last two years have been dodgy ones taking advantage of the IR35 situation or those looking to distance themselves from past identities….just saying. Funnily enough some of the domains share domain registration similarities to guess who….bestpay.co.uk and bestpaymentservices.co.uk. It’s almost like they keep changing their identity for some reason…

The cherry on the cake…One of the operators clearly states on their website ‘Improve your take-home pay’ – *alarm bells*. Your checks are obviously not fit for purpose if simple stuff like that is not being picked up on.

Comment

Working...
                      X