Opus bestpay umbrella - do not use it! It's highly toxic!!!!! Opus bestpay umbrella - do not use it! It's highly toxic!!!!!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 48
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...

    whattheheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    21

    Exclamation Opus bestpay umbrella - do not use it! It's highly toxic!!!!!

    Contractors in the UK,

    Since this Forum doesn't seem to blacklist this Umbrella, despite the carnage we can all read HERE, I am opening this thread to make you aware!

    I have just signed up to a new contract, the agency suggested OPUS BESTPAY. I asked to have a bog standard pay arrangement, NI and taxed as usual, plus a weekly fee. They declined and pushed the "LOAN AGREEMENT" scheme forward. I signed up! I did, even though I don't like it. And I did it because I need my pay, I can't live on fresh air, FFS!

    But I came to dig out info about them also because they did not pay me on time. This is allegedly because the paperwork had not been completed. Hypocrites! That did not stop them from paying themselves from the agency. I know because the agency told me they had already paid OPUS BESTPAY and that was BEFORE the contract with me was completed. So it is good to know where OPUS BESTPAY priorities are! The contractor comes LAST in their priority list.

    Incidentally, this has had consequences. I worked flat out for 2 weeks without pay and funds dried up.

    So, because I had no more funds to allocate for diesel, I stopped and gave the agency the heads-up about what was going on with OPUS BESTPAY Umbrella. Besides, I am an IT Contractor and any similarities suggested by the irresponsible and damaging actions of umbrellas or agencies, with the working donkey or the pyramid slaves of yesterday are OFF THE MARK!

    So, be aware! Do not use OPUS BESTPAY. Another names to watch out for are "THE TRUST SHOP", which is named in the contract/loan agreement, and also OPUS UMBRELLA.

    My sincere advice to everyone is this... If you come across this payment arrangement, either by suggestion of agencies or otherwise because you are looking up the Internet and found them, WALK AWAY! Simply REFUSE and DEMAND another Umbrella! No, really! It is as it is. If you sign up, you are likely to be investigated by HMRC as many others were - just read the threads about that - so just DO NOT!

    Best regards
    Last edited by whattheheck; 12th February 2018 at 11:28.

  2. #2

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whattheheck View Post
    Since this Forum still lists this Umbrella,
    Please provide a link to where ContractorUK is listing Opus Bestpay.

    While your complaints about that business may well be valid, your comments about this forum (in two threads now) don't appear to be.
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

    Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

  3. #3

    Still gathering requirements...

    whattheheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    21

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Please provide a link to where ContractorUK is listing Opus Bestpay.

    While your complaints about that business may well be valid, your comments about this forum (in two threads now) don't appear to be.
    Apologies, I have corrected my initial opening post in the thread to reflect that. Indeed, the Forum doesn't list it... Nor blacklist it, despite the potential damage this umbrella may cause to contractors.

    Guys, this is a nice Forum. But it needs to take proactive action to help people avoid trouble. You have thousands of members. It is high time this Forum promotes a blacklist of umbrellas that are only out there to exploit the contractors and abuse loopholes in our Laws. I want to see a list of who I can trust and who I should not touch!

    Think of it as a Review system. Umbrellas supply a service for which we contractors pay them. It is high time they start to get us breathing on their necks.
    Last edited by whattheheck; 12th February 2018 at 11:36.

  4. #4

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whattheheck View Post
    Apologies, I have corrected my initial opening post in the thread to reflect that. Indeed, the Forum doesn't list it... Nor blacklist it, despite the potential damage this umbrella may cause to contractors.

    Guys, this is a nice Forum. But it needs to take proactive action to help people avoid trouble. You have thousands of members. It is high time this Forum promotes a blacklist of umbrellas that are only out there to exploit the contractors and abuse loopholes in our Laws. I want to see a list of who I can trust and who I should not touch!

    Think of it as a Review system. Umbrellas supply a service for which we contractors pay them. It is high time they start to get us breathing on their necks.
    Thank you for editing your original post. Maybe now you understand why Fred and I commented the way we did not he other thread.

    I'm guessing you're fairly new to contracting.
    For quite a few years now companies have set themselves up offering schemes to contractors, promising them 80%+ returns using various models. We don't actually have the time to monitor every single one and watch as they change company name from one to another.
    Instead we have several sticky threads about choosing umbrella companies and avoiding schemes.

    https://forums.contractoruk.com/umbr...-umbrella.html
    https://forums.contractoruk.com/umbr...ey-differ.html
    https://forums.contractoruk.com/umbr...companies.html

    And this section purely on schemes:
    https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-scheme-enquiries/
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

    Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

  5. #5

    Still gathering requirements...

    whattheheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    21

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    (...) I'm guessing you're fairly new to contracting.(...)
    Nope... I have been a contractor for 25 years.

    I am fairly new to modern business corruption and malpractice in the UK IT Contracting Industry though! I guess in this sense, you are right to conclude I am fairly new...

  6. #6

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    18,206

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whattheheck View Post
    Nope... I have been a contractor for 25 years.

    I am fairly new to modern business corruption and malpractice in the UK IT Contracting Industry though! I guess in this sense, you are right to conclude I am fairly new...
    The schemes have been going on for a long time, but it's only in the last few years that HMRC have decided to go after everyone who has been using them in the last decade or so, and backdate their demands.
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

    Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

  7. #7

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    11,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    The schemes have been going on for a long time, but it's only in the last few years that HMRC have decided to go after everyone who has been using them in the last decade or so, and backdate their demands.
    Although there are posts from 11 years ago pointing out both that these schemes were highly risky, that HMRC had put a stake in the ground in 2008 from which everyone was going to be challenged and even mentioning the potential IHT threat.

    While most of the schemes were aimed at earning shedloads for the promoters, a small part of the problem was people not worrying too much about how taxation works but taking whatever option appeared to provide immunity from IR35.

    We are where we are now. Pointless raving about what's done and by whom, the focus has to be on minimising the damage that's been caused
    Blog? What blog...?

  8. #8

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    19,656

    Default

    And it’s not up to this forum to take proactive action on anything - it’s for contractors to be the business people they say they are to perform due diligence on these umbrella companies.

  9. #9

    Fingers like lightning

    stonehenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    And it’s not up to this forum to take proactive action on anything - it’s for contractors to be the business people they say they are to perform due diligence on these umbrella companies.
    Agreed.

    Although, to be fair, people often join brollys because they don't want the hassle of running a business.

    It's disappointing that some agencies are still steering people in to dodgy schemes.

  10. #10

    Still gathering requirements...

    whattheheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    North East England
    Posts
    21

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    The schemes have been going on for a long time, but it's only in the last few years that HMRC have decided to go after everyone who has been using them in the last decade or so, and backdate their demands.
    The State can never be trusted. The State holds the means and the Power to change the status quo to whatever is more convenient to... Well, the State itself. It is naive to engage in stuff knowing it is dodgy and the State might change strategy.

    Overall, beginning with the State, corruption is rampant in Britain I have been digging about this OPUS BESTPAY umbrella and I am horrified.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •