• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stay away from Payerise Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please share the outcome of your conversation with HMRC

Originally posted by Hoperessed View Post
    Where do I start. Just like you, I am stuck with the possibility of a very hefty bill. In hindsight I should have consulted an accountant immediately after the first payslip popped into my inbox.

PAYERISE was actually recommended and pushed on to me by my agency, who claimed it was compliant. That is an issue I will deal with later.

That said and done, I had an indepth conversation with HMRC, explaining my and that of many's predicament following the liquidation of PAYERISE. HMRC have offered little hope in that I can attempt to send a letter, and my payslips explaining that money was deducted to pay the tax and the company has gone into liquidation whilst holding these monies. This can then be viewed as a loss. My accountant recons this is a long shot, and exercise in futility, but it is worth a try (what more else can we lose).

Hi , could you please share the outcome ? Did HMRC consider your situation or were you asked to pay more tax ?

Comment

HMRC self assessment letters received!

hello

i am joining this forum late but I guess that after seeing these comments that I too have been scammed by payerise ltd. They have gone into liquidation and HMRC want me to provide more details. I knew there was something wrong with those dodgy payslips and now I realise that I was in paid in the form of a loan by the company. A loan the company would never be paying back. Now i have to go through all my records and send to hmrc. fingers crossed that i wont get stung too much.

Thanks to all

Comment

Originally posted by Hoperessed View Post
        Where do I start. Just like you, I am stuck with the possibility of a very hefty bill. In hindsight I should have consulted an accountant immediately after the first payslip popped into my inbox.

PAYERISE was actually recommended and pushed on to me by my agency, who claimed it was compliant. That is an issue I will deal with later.

That said and done, I had an indepth conversation with HMRC, explaining my and that of many's predicament following the liquidation of PAYERISE. HMRC have offered little hope in that I can attempt to send a letter, and my payslips explaining that money was deducted to pay the tax and the company has gone into liquidation whilst holding these monies. This can then be viewed as a loss. My accountant recons this is a long shot, and exercise in futility, but it is worth a try (what more else can we lose).
        HEllo, I am also a victim as I am now chased by HMRC to complete self assessment tax forms and now also 'disguised remuneration loan charge' report because it was a tax avoidance scheme....grrrrr

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to hop on here after Googling Payerise to see if they were still around. Many years ago when I had first left University I was looking for work and took an admin job at a company that turned out to be Payerise' sister company and owned by the same people.
          I stayed there until the sister company went under and was good friends with some people on the Payerise side. As you may have guessed it was an absolute train wreck.

The reason you were all pushed so hard by your agencies to join? Payerise paid them to do so. The agencies were taken on nights out, given gifts and money to push the company. One dinner a group were taken out on when they all left and the member of Payerise staff was left to pay up, she just walked out leaving a bill worth thousands of pounds. The same member of staff was selling the contact details of clients to agencies for £125 a head (I'm not sure what for).
          I know of one very junior member of staff who was asked to photoshop some form of insurance document from the previous year to look like it was current before sending it out to clients. They didn't.

Basically I have little to add here other than to say they are absolute charlatans and its awful that so many people were caught up in this and will now be paying the price. You have my sympathies.

Comment

Originally posted by GLF
            So, any advice on the best way forward and what the implications of all this may be would be much appreciated!
            Not advice, as such, but I'm sure you're aware that you are responsible for paying the right amount of tax. If you were taking home 80%, that is very unlikely to have been the case.

It doesn't matter what Payerise did or did not do or say - it is your responsibility. So, you can either wait and see if HMRC contact you, which they likely will, or engage with a professional to help sort out your matters, work out how much you owe (including penalties), and come up with a plan. They'll be able to advise on what might be time spent (if any), depending on whether you have closed years or not, whether the Loan Charge applies, and many other considerations. Most here would not recommend trying to get this sorted yourself with HMRC.

Comment

Working...
            X