• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using Contractor Umbrella Ltd for Reed Technology contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Contractor Umbrella Ltd for Reed Technology contract

Hi all,

First post here, and hopefully unique enough to warrant a separate thread!

I secured a 6-month contract with a gov't department, via Reed Technology.

It's my first contract and inside IR35. Given these facts it seems like using an umbrella company is the most sensible approach. So, having browsed this forum, I signed up with Contractor Umbrella Ltd, who have been nothing but helpful.

On the other hand, Reed Technology have informed me that Contractor Umbrella Ltd are not on their approved/preferred supplier list. They said I am welcome to use them, but they don't have B2B template contracts in place with Contract Umbrella Ltd, and in such situations, they usually provide a brief terms of reference email to the umbrella Co, in place of a contract. They told me all of this after I mentioned which umbrella I am going with, and had signed up...

I have seen the email. It is certainly not a B2B contract, but it references me, the end client, start/end dates, day rate, payment terms, notice period etc.

I spoke to someone at the umbrella company, and they said that they have other clients working with Reed who do the same, and have had no issues thus far.

Just wanted to get some advice on what I should do? I feel like my options are:

- Stick with it and accept the offer email, and terms of reference email as my quasi 'contract'
    - Insist that Reed provide a b2b contract to Contractor Umbrella
    - Or withdraw from using Contractor Umbrella Ltd, and go for someone on Reed's PSL?
    - Another option I am missing?

Thanks everyone,

Kasim

I'd say you've answered your own question when you spoke to CU.

The people on Reeds PSL are purely there because they pay kickbacks to Reed. Nothing to do with quality or service.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      I'd say you've answered your own question when you spoke to CU.

The people on Reeds PSL are purely there because they pay kickbacks to Reed. Nothing to do with quality or service.
      I was leaning that way, but it's always good to get the thoughts of those with more experience!

Agreed. I was aware of the suppliers on their PSL thanks to this forum, and a number had less than glowing reviews.

Thanks for your advice.

Kas
      Last edited by KKas; 18 February 2019, 22:00.

Comment

Working...
      X