• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

employers NI - weekly or annually?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

employers NI - weekly or annually?

Hello all.
    I started a contract just before the end of the tax year, and my earnings for 2018/19 were around £5.5k.
    From this, the umbrella company have taken a total of £666 in "Employer Statutory Costs" i.e. employers NI.
    A bit of research done on the internet suggests that I should have not paid employers NI because it's under the threshold (I can't find the exact figures but it's around £7-£8k per year).
    The umbrella company are telling me that employers NI is calculated on a WEEKLY basis, so they won't help me with a refund.
    Who is correct? And why?
    Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by CubeWizard View Post
    Hello all.
    I started a contract just before the end of the tax year, and my earnings for 2018/19 were around £5.5k.
    From this, the umbrella company have taken a total of £666 in "Employer Statutory Costs" i.e. employers NI.
    A bit of research done on the internet suggests that I should have not paid employers NI because it's under the threshold (I can't find the exact figures but it's around £7-£8k per year).
    The umbrella company are telling me that employers NI is calculated on a WEEKLY basis, so they won't help me with a refund.
    Who is correct? And why?
    Thanks in advance.
    I believe only directors have the ability to calculate NI annually, and you would not be a director of the umbrella company
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

NI is usually weekly so they are right.

Only tax is cumulative, NI, student loan etc are for the period they are in.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanDS View Post
        NI is usually weekly so they are right.

Only tax is cumulative, NI, student loan etc are for the period they are in.

Which is one of the reasons why Inside IR35 taxes are unfair on contractors. You could be on the bench for 3 months and you’ll have paid more NI in the 9 months you had work than you would have done for the same invoice amount spread over the year.

Yes it’s the same for employees but they’re far less likely to be stuck on the bench

Comment

Working...
        X