• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor can choose umbrella?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Simon sold SJD years ago. He's always kept hold of CU. He's got his new accountancy and he's moved CU under the new branding.
    I knew re Simon selling SJD...and especially being an accountant you'd think I could've looked up the CU side of things on Cos Hse myself

The "Persons of Significant Control" section of CU is a bit odd/messy (here), but yeah, clear Simon's the key man behind it. He'll likely have the clout to pull strings that we realistically can't.

Lucy isn't with CU now so I'm sure she won't mind helping.
    Interesting...I'll try to hunt her down.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      If for one contract you're with one brolly, and for another you're with another, then you've shifted work location due to change of employer, and can't claim it's a temporary location - so no T&S.
      Hi NotAllThere,

After the rules changes, this shouldn't really matter, should it? Only temporary locations away from the main point of work will be allowable anyway.

Kind regards

Zeeshan

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      Cheers. Yeah we've pointed a few people Contractor Umbrella's way over the years, as they seem to have a good rep. However I would (understandably) doubt Lucy would be happy giving us tips on how best to try to be reasonable competition!

Although isn't Contractor Umbrella under the same...err...umbrella as SJD? Or had some link to Simon Dolan, something like that? Sorry if I've got this wrong, just thought they were in a reasonably good position to be one of the "big guys". Anything new we set up would inevitably have support from Maslins which would give a little bit of a head start over from scratch...but Maslins don't quite have the clout of SJD!
      Hi Maslins,

Good to see another accountancy firm being active on here and helping out contractors ?

As northernladUK pointed out, SJD Accountancy has been separate from Contractor Umbrella for a number of years. Lucy has been managing the operations side of Contractor Umbrella for several years.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
      Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        Appreciate there'll be some variation here, but generally speaking does:

1) the contractor choose their umbrella organisation, and they stick with that umbrella as they move from end client to end client? Or
        2) does the end client choose the umbrella organisation, and if a contractor moves from one end client to another, typically this means changing umbrella too (unless the same umbrella is on "approved list" for each end client)?

Yes I have a vested interest, vaguely toying with the idea of us setting up our own umbrella company given the Apr 2020 changes...however, if the answer to the above is virtually always (2) then seems little point!
        We (Agency) have an ASL, contractors can use any of them. They all charge the same fee. We audit them twice a year, have an initial DD process and we work with each of them on changes to make sure the contractors are looked after from a legal and service view.

Anyone not on the ASL can be put forward and I do some basic DD and the contractor signs a disclaimer accepting responsibility for DD.

Contrary to popular opinion the main reason Agencies have an ASL is because DD is such a resource intensive task, there's so many 'accreditations' that mean nothing and the risk for individuals making poor decisions is high. An ASL combats that.

Comment

Kickbacks have nothing to do with it of course.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Kickbacks have nothing to do with it?
            Nope, there's a per timesheet referral fee - that's because we know the non-compliant brollies will offer cash to the recruiters so we try to combat it but that's minimal amount. Same amount for every member of the ASL and the brollies are chosen based only on compliance and service.

Any brolly would happily pay a referral fee so the idea that Agencies say 'only use ABC' because ABC pay a large referral fee doesn't stack up. Agencies say only use these brollies because they've spent the time and effort in checking them out and can build a good working relationship with them so contractors get good service.

If an Agency has an ASL they should be able to tell you what the DD process looks like, if it's more than 'they're on this list' then it's probably legit imo.

Comment

Any chance of you telling us who 'we' is?

Comment

Originally posted by ComplianceLady View Post
                We (Agency) have an ASL, contractors can use any of them. They all charge the same fee. We audit them twice a year, have an initial DD process and we work with each of them on changes to make sure the contractors are looked after from a legal and service view.

Anyone not on the ASL can be put forward and I do some basic DD and the contractor signs a disclaimer accepting responsibility for DD.

Contrary to popular opinion the main reason Agencies have an ASL is because DD is such a resource intensive task, there's so many 'accreditations' that mean nothing and the risk for individuals making poor decisions is high. An ASL combats that.
                Wes Crystal umbrella on your ASL ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Wes Crystal umbrella on your ASL ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  No. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by ComplianceLady View Post
                    No. Why?
                    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...gone-bust.html

Comment

Any chance of you telling us who 'we' is?
                      I'm the Head of Compliance for the Evolution group of companies. I should note that the reason I post under Compliance Lady and not a corporate brand is I'm not speaking on behalf of any business in this forum. The experiences I refer to have come from working for other recruitment brands as well as for HMRC so I didn't want to have a company hat on all the time. The ASL process I advised is the same I've put in place for other recruitment businesses and is pretty standard I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X