• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor can choose umbrella?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
    when I stated I wanted to use them I was told no not on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      vaguely toying with the idea of us setting up our own umbrella company
      What's the verdict?

My firm tried to Shepard me into there new one this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
        What's the verdict?

My firm tried to Shepard me into there new one this morning.
        Let's hope there isn't an English test as part of the sign up process.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 13 August 2019, 09:42.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Let's hope there isn't an English test as part of the sign up process.
          Haha, yeah my bad.

Comment

Sorry, was on holiday last week, and not as hot on checking this part of the forum!

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
            What's the verdict?
            Ummm, TBC. Have had a brief discussion with a couple of people, sent one of them a proposal, not heard back yet.

General consensus seems to be it is a bit of a cosy club. Only way to make money is to get a lot of contractors. A fair bit of the umbrella's fee to the contractor ends up getting paid to the agent...and it can be hard to get on an agent's approved list. We wouldn't particularly be looking to do it as a money making thing, at least in the short term. Main goal for us (short term) is trying to retain otherwise happy clients, albeit with a different offering, if they end up with no outside IR35 options post Apr 2020. Who knows what the future will hold, but I half expect an initial OTT reaction from private sector (ie lots pushed to umbrella/permie), then gradual drifting towards more outside IR35 roles being offered.

We certainly don't have the experience or contacts in house to run an umbrella, and I'm not naive enough to just have a go at it (the infamous "how hard can it be"!). So realistically would need to team up with someone else. Finding the right person where it works well for both parties isn't easy.

Comment

Update - looks unlikely we'll be pressing ahead with this. Previous possible biz partner wants to pursue their own thing without us.

Any senior umbrella workers reading this who might be interested in setting something up together, do let me know.

Comment

I'll do it. You get to work with me 8 hours a day as well. Double bargian.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X