• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor can choose umbrella?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see. No, never dealt with them. There's a lot of dodgy brollies out there but not hard to avoid them with a bit of DD in my view.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplianceLady View Post
      I see. No, never dealt with them. There's a lot of dodgy brollies out there but not hard to avoid them with a bit of DD in my view.
      Gotcha. So you can quickly identify a bad brolly with a little bit of DD.

Contrary to popular opinion the main reason Agencies have an ASL is because DD is such a resource intensive task, there's so many 'accreditations' that mean nothing and the risk for individuals making poor decisions is high. An ASL combats that.
      Ah.

Comment

Nope, there's a per timesheet referral fee - that's because we know the non-compliant brollies will offer cash to the recruiters so we try to combat it but that's minimal amount.
        Bit of a sweeping statement! I am aware of compliant one's still slipping pre paid credit cards under the recruiters noses!

Same amount for every member of the ASL and the brollies are chosen based only on compliance and service.
        So those that are compliant and not operating with referrals are ignored?

Any brolly would happily pay a referral fee so the idea that Agencies say 'only use ABC' because ABC pay a large referral fee doesn't stack up.
        Even though the referral costs have taken some brollies under as they are not sustainable unless the contractor numbers are in the high figures! For some it simply isn't a financial option, compliance costs an arm and a leg as it is!

Comment

(1) for me, third contract using umbrella coming up, third agency, same umbrella

Comment

Not convinced about the bung thing, contractor umbrella had people through a particular agency, but said agency refused to allow.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
              Not convinced about the bung thing, contractor umbrella had people through a particular agency, but said agency refused to allow.
              Pardon?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
                There are rare occasions when you can gain an exception, but rarely

Comment

Originally posted by midlandlass View Post
                  Bit of a sweeping statement! I am aware of compliant one's still slipping pre paid credit cards under the recruiters noses!

So those that are compliant and not operating with referrals are ignored?

Even though the referral costs have taken some brollies under as they are not sustainable unless the contractor numbers are in the high figures! For some it simply isn't a financial option, compliance costs an arm and a leg as it is!
                  We have minimum levels of earnings and below that the referral fee isn't paid. I've never spoken to a brolly that didn't offer a referral fee. Part of my role is to stop the slipping of credit cards etc. we check the numbers per brolly per recruiter and try to spot patterns etc.

I'm not saying it's perfect and can't speak for every Agency but I know ASL's are generally about compliance and the referral fee is a deterrent to the 'bung'.

Comment

I've never spoken to a brolly that didn't offer a referral fee.
                    Always good to not be the norm then

I'm not saying it's perfect and can't speak for every Agency but I know ASL's are generally about compliance and the referral fee is a deterrent to the 'bung'.
                    I would like to think so too, but for me the relationship has to be about service. I keep the contractor and the agency happy and then there are no problems, we all get more business!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Pardon?
                      I was working through an agency and was aware they had contractors using contractor umbrella, but when I stated I wanted to use them I was told no not on the list. MY thoughts are agency bod was getting bung from preferred list
                      Last edited by Anonimouse; 8 August 2019, 12:02.

Comment

Working...
                      X