• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need Advice on Choosing Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Glass View Post
    I'm going to be choosing today and would be happy to go with Clarity Umbrella. Any way to force the agency to use them, or do they have ultimate control over who I have to pick from?

Cheers.
    Unfortunately it's down to them and in many cases they'll suggest they have a set list due on boarding or compliance reasons. Bearing in mind its nearly the same list from those agents that quote that you know it comes down to kick backs. The high churn small margin guys can afford to do this. The better, smaller setups can't unfortunately.

If they agent won't budge then ask them if you can get Lucy to give them a ring and have a chat and hopefully they'll get the message. The pension option alone is a massive benefit to those with warchests.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      There's also Clarity Umbrella from Lucy of this parish. Not sure if her user name has changed following her recent parting of ways with Contractor Umbrella.

EDIT: recent is a relative term

Clarity will be launched this month.
      Thanks ladymuck I will be back very shortly!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Glass View Post
        I'm going to be choosing today and would be happy to go with Clarity Umbrella. Any way to force the agency to use them, or do they have ultimate control over who I have to pick from?

Cheers.
        Hi Michael, happy to give them a call and see what I can do. I will PM you

Comment

Originally posted by tester_uk View Post
          Hi All,

Apparently my end client has now assessed that my upcoming contract is deemed to be with in IR35 rules.

I have been given the following list of preferred umbrella companies by the end client.

Can some one please let me know your experience/recommendations from the list below,

3) Giant Professional -> Read in another thread that their "hidden charges" are not explained to their customers
          4) JSA Services
          7) Parasol Limited -> Read in one of the threads that their fees are way too high

Your kind inputs will help me with choosing the right one.

Thanks and Regards
          I know it's a little after the event but my experiences might chime with others on here. :-)

Over the eons I've dabbled with Parasol, was with Giant for a number of years, and JSA in prehistoric days. They were each ok, but I wasn't 100% satisfied with the service I received.

It's much of a muchness in the end and to me what matters is having a team who are A-grade on developments in legislation and compliance, and are also accessible. So I moved to Contractor Umbrella a few years ago for that reason & am (mostly) very happy with them, and why I'd also in turn give Clarity a thumbs up.

I've only heard good things on here about Paystream but not used them.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            There's also Clarity Umbrella from Lucy of this parish. Not sure if her user name has changed following her recent parting of ways with Contractor Umbrella.

EDIT: recent is a relative term

Clarity will be launched this month.
            so Lucy II then?

i used CU for several gigs pre and post Lucy I, no worries, good service.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorky View Post
              and why I'd also in turn give Clarity a thumbs up.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorky View Post
                So I moved to Contractor Umbrella a few years ago for that reason & am (mostly) very happy with them, and why I'd also in turn give Clarity a thumbs up.
                I've been with them for a couple of years but the last 6 months have been a bit hit and miss with being paid on time, and more recently a mix up with PAYE after I stopped paying my student loan. Think I'm onto my 3rd account manager this year. The last one I didn't even know had left until I rang to query why I'd not been paid at the usual date.

Comment

Originally posted by codedbypaul View Post
                  I've been with them for a couple of years but the last 6 months have been a bit hit and miss with being paid on time, and more recently a mix up with PAYE after I stopped paying my student loan. Think I'm onto my 3rd account manager this year. The last one I didn't even know had left until I rang to query why I'd not been paid at the usual date.
                  Hi Paul,

I'm glad that the student loan/tax issue was sorted out. Apologies for the delay in this, we were awaiting advice from the portal's developers and couldn't advise you further until they had corrected it.

As for the account managers, the business relocated this year to Tring, Hertfordshire and some roles had to be filled again. I can assure you that we have a good team of Contract Managers now that diligently work with all of our contractor base.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
                  Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    I'm afraid they have control - the only way I see contractors having ultimate control is choosing not to take the contract because of the choice of umbrellas.
                    Has anybody looked at PayWorx umbrella? They are advertising Hybrid umbrella...Basically they pay 14-18 as your salary with tax/NI paid. The remaining they assign to a different company called ContractorsBuddy which issues dividends to your Ltd company. You don't pay Corporation tax on dividends but personal tax when you draw from your Ltd company.

Do you think HMRC will soon catchup and call this also a tax evasion?

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie09 View Post
                      Has anybody looked at PayWorx umbrella? They are advertising Hybrid umbrella...Basically they pay 14-18 as your salary with tax/NI paid. The remaining they assign to a different company called ContractorsBuddy which issues dividends to your Ltd company. You don't pay Corporation tax on dividends but personal tax when you draw from your Ltd company.

Do you think HMRC will soon catchup and call this also a tax evasion?
                      I saw this on linkedin - there's scant detail of how it actually works, but yes, I think it is very likely that HMRC will consider this aggressive avoidance and a few years down the line its users will be facing hefty bills.

Very happy to be corrected by someone in the know, but it looks as if yourCo is a shareholder of the "network" so gets dividends, which it can then pay to you.

Give HMRC a call and ask them if it is a legitimate way of working
                      Last edited by mudskipper; 31 October 2019, 11:30.

Comment

Working...
                      X