Yet another Limited inside IR35 vs Umbrella thread Yet another Limited inside IR35 vs Umbrella thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21

    Super poster

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amanensia View Post
    So clearly the ERNI and apprenticeship levy must be billed additionally to the end client (as the Umbrella margin won't even come close to covering it.) It'll be interesting to see what happens when the penny drops because this is absolutely not what the banks are expecting. You'd think their armies of employment lawyers would have seen this coming a mile off...
    So an umbrella would pass that into the Agency in their invoicing and the Agency would pass it onto the end client.

    I suspect, as you surmise, that many companies haven't twigged that.

    My concern is that umbrellas don't properly pass that cost on and instead carry on with the current way of taking the whole lot of the rate quoted to the contractor

  2. #22

    Fingers like lightning

    GhostofTarbera's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    So an umbrella would pass that into the Agency in their invoicing and the Agency would pass it onto the end client.

    I suspect, as you surmise, that many companies haven't twigged that.

    My concern is that umbrellas don't properly pass that cost on and instead carry on with the current way of taking the whole lot of the rate quoted to the contractor
    Exactly what they will do


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  3. #23

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ipswich, Suffolk
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Problem is that we, as the umbrella company get given the Gross Contract Rate, whereby the employment costs must be met before we reach the taxable salary.

    Come April the requirement for the agencies to provide the Key Information Documents (KIDs) to all contractors before signing any contractual arrangement, I guess is HMRCs way of showing the transparency. Whether that gives any clout for increased rates who knows. My guess is the only arguement will come if the contractor is prepared to fight the IR35 determination.

  4. #24

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    The rate advertised to the contractor inside IR35 l must be net of ERNICs and App. Levy. That is the law(Chapter 10 of IETPA to be a little more specific). It's being ignored because nobody is challenging it. Like I said - too many sheep.
    The thing being missed here though is most 'inside' roles are advertised on an umbrella basis, which doesn't have the same stipulation. I've yet to come across a client who will accept a true inside IR35 engagement type.

  5. #25

    Fingers like lightning

    Major Hassle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In Hope
    Posts
    531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    And exactly why there is a law against it...

    If anyone does get caught like this, they should consider taking the umbrella to court. That's because the umbrella is supposed to bill the agency (and indirectly the client) at a rate that covers the NICs/Levy overhead, so it never goes near the worker's income. the worker s onluy liable for PAYE and EeNICs, even after next April.

    If you're offered a new contract that represents a drop in income to cover the client's costs then you should have an interesting discussion...
    Having that exact conversation now with Agency x
    "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

    As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

  6. #26

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ipswich, Suffolk
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Hassle View Post
    Having that exact conversation now with Agency x
    As ComplianceLady said though - if advertised on an umbrella basis then it doesn't apply. Only if they offer inside IR35 with PAYE to the Ltd company.

  7. #27

    Fingers like lightning

    Major Hassle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In Hope
    Posts
    531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
    As ComplianceLady said though - if advertised on an umbrella basis then it doesn't apply. Only if they offer inside IR35 with PAYE to the Ltd company.
    This is in-situ transitioning from ltd to Umbrella
    "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

    As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

  8. #28

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Hassle View Post
    This is in-situ transitioning from ltd to Umbrella
    Transferring to umbrella means IR35 does not apply so the provisions of adding ERNIC on top of the rate do not apply. It is legal (and normal) to take ERNIC from the overall umbrella 'assignment rate'.

    The only time you can't do this is inside IR35 - which is ONLY when PAYE is processed for funds paid via the PSC.

  9. #29

    Fingers like lightning

    Major Hassle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In Hope
    Posts
    531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ComplianceLady View Post
    Transferring to umbrella means IR35 does not apply so the provisions of adding ERNIC on top of the rate do not apply. It is legal (and normal) to take ERNIC from the overall umbrella 'assignment rate'.

    The only time you can't do this is inside IR35 - which is ONLY when PAYE is processed for funds paid via the PSC.
    Yes exactly the overall assignment rate which I’m expecting to be my current day rate PLUS what’s needed to take care of ERNIC and Levey
    "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

    As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

  10. #30

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Major Hassle View Post
    Yes exactly the overall assignment rate which I’m expecting to be my current day rate PLUS what’s needed to take care of ERNIC and Levey
    That is a commercial negotiation though. Whereas if you were still paid limited but inside the client could only terminate your contract and offer a new one on a lower rate, they couldn't simply deduct from the rate.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •