• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SIPP with umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SIPP with umbrella

So, my clients' response to IR35 is to stop using PSCs so I am forced to go with an umbrella.

One of my main concerns is my pension - I have a SIPP and would like to be able to continue paying into it, using salary sacrifice which seems the only sensible option.

Are there any FCSA accredited umbrellas which will pay straight into my SIPP?

I have a long list of Umbrellas which my client's outsourced HR will accept, but I've been unable to find out much short of phoning them all about how their pesnion arrangements work.

Originally posted by Wonko View Post
    So, my clients' response to IR35 is to stop using PSCs so I am forced to go with an umbrella.

One of my main concerns is my pension - I have a SIPP and would like to be able to continue paying into it, using salary sacrifice which seems the only sensible option.

I have a long list of Umbrellas which my client's outsourced HR will accept, but I've been unable to find out much short of phoning them all about how their pesnion arrangements work.
    Most won't as it means having to manage a different pension for every single contractor which is a logistical and administrative nightmare, best option is to find one that will allow you to move the money once your assignment has finished at no cost back into your SIPP. And please, please, please do phone them, at the end of the day they are going to be handling your money make sure you feel comfortable with them, its way too easy to just be an online business that offers no actual customer service

Comment

Originally posted by Wonko View Post

As Lucy said, many umbrellas do not offer the option of paying into SIPPS, but I can tell you they do exist.

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
        Most won't as it means having to manage a different pension for every single contractor which is a logistical and administrative nightmare, best option is to find one that will allow you to move the money once your assignment has finished at no cost back into your SIPP. And please, please, please do phone them, at the end of the day they are going to be handling your money make sure you feel comfortable with them, its way too easy to just be an online business that offers no actual customer service
        Isn't the advantage of coming off gross not that it saves NI?

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          Isn't the advantage of coming off gross not that it saves NI?
          Yes - you should get the employer NI contribution which you would otherwise lose (but best to explicitly ask the question to the umbrella company).

It's why I didn't get some other posters comment that a 1% pension fee was hideous. It's not great but the thing that is most important is the overall fee to get the money into your SIPP (if so desired). Which means you need to know the total figure for initial purchase, management and any exit fees - and that could differ significantly by pension company.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Yes - you should get the employer NI contribution which you would otherwise lose (but best to explicitly ask the question to the umbrella company)..
            Contractor Umbrella just fell over on this question in that the pension contribution came out of what was left after Employers NI had been deducted. Not sure if I didn't ask the question properly or if that is how it works with them. Has anybody got any names of umbrellas that will allow you to pay into a pension from the Gross ( pre Employees NI ) ?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
              Contractor Umbrella just fell over on this question in that the pension contribution came out of what was left after Employers NI had been deducted. Not sure if I didn't ask the question properly or if that is how it works with them. Has anybody got any names of umbrellas that will allow you to pay into a pension from the Gross ( pre Employees NI ) ?
              Hi rootsnall

I think you've asked two different things here.

The employers pension contribution is calculated after the margin and employment costs have been deducted. And we calculate the employees pension contribution from the gross taxable. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

The advice we give to our employees is that you can set aside, through umbrella payroll, as much pension contributions as you want, and then have them transferred over from our Scottish Widows provider to your own scheme. There aren't charges for this.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
              Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post
                Hi rootsnall

I think you've asked two different things here.

The employers pension contribution is calculated after the margin and employment costs have been deducted. And we calculate the employees pension contribution from the gross taxable. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

The advice we give to our employees is that you can set aside, through umbrella payroll, as much pension contributions as you want, and then have them transferred over from our Scottish Widows provider to your own scheme. There aren't charges for this.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
                Are the 'employment costs' the 12% Employers NI ?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  Are the 'employment costs' the 12% Employers NI ?
                  Hi

The 13.8% Employers NIC is one of the costs. There is also the apprenticeship levy.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
                  Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

In simple terms - paying into a pension via salary sacrifice will reduce all tax and NI contributions

Comment

Working...
                    X