• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Reasonable Adjustments can an Umbrella provide?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
    1) I currently require weekly treatment and long term secondary care input, which will incur additional travel costs from a client’s site.
    You’re a contractor, you chose to go for a contract that involved travel to site. You were fully aware of that before taking the contract. It is not “additional travel costs”, it’s part of accepting the contract. In other words, no, it’s your responsibility, you shouldn’t be blaming/charging someone else for your failure to choose a more suitable contract to meet your requirements.

2) I have to take long term anti seizure and sedating medications overnight which limit my ability to get up early for longer commutes and I therefore need to reduce the length of my commute as far as possible by staying close to company premises.
    You’re a contractor, you chose to go for a contract that was a long commute from home. You were fully aware of that before taking the contract. In other words, no, it’s your responsibility, you shouldn’t be blaming/charging someone else for your failure to choose a more suitable contract to meet your requirements.

3) My medication and/or condition can impact on my ability to travel safely to work. I have to keep the DVLA up to date regarding my condition and they have revoked my driving licence in the past (last time 2018). The lowest risk Health and Safety option is to travel once a week and be based walking distance from a client site.
    So why did you deliberately choose a contract that required a lot of travel? You’re supposed to be a professional contractor. If you aren’t able, or aren’t prepared to travel, then you need to choose more appropriate contracts, or factor your requirements into the contract negotiations. It’s not up to the umbrella company to decide which contracts you choose, the rate you agree, the terms of the contract, or how you deal with any issues you may have.

4) I cannot move close to the employers site because I need to maintain contact with my current long term health team.
    Then you need to choose a contract that is close to your current health team.

My RA suggestion was that my expenses are processed outside of taxable income.

Ghost, I know it's wishful thinking but unlike a normal disclosure situation where I have to weigh up any request against the potential for discrimination, I don't need to disclose to the client so I may as well push my luck with an Umbrella because what's the worst they can do? I suppose they might pay me late for being awkward.
    This is nothing to do with “discrimination”, “disability” or “disclosure” and everything to do with YOU choosing a contract and YOU agreeing a rate without YOU even considering your ability to deliver said contract or how much it would cost you to do so.

Have you checked how the umbrella will work with regards to days when you don’t invoice? I can see a thread about “sick days” coming soon.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

why bother?
      the guy's a twat, with no clue how contracting works.
      or just a troll.
      whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        You’re a contractor, you chose to go for a contract that involved travel to site. You were fully aware of that before taking the contract. It is not “additional travel costs”, it’s part of accepting the contract. In other words, no, it’s your responsibility, you shouldn’t be blaming/charging someone else for your failure to choose a more suitable contract to meet your requirements.
        You forgot to question if the assignment is under SDC too - and how this aligns with employment law, tax law and now disability laws. Suggest HMRC will have the answers

Comment

Working...
        X