• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Reasonable Adjustments can an Umbrella provide?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Reasonable Adjustments can an Umbrella provide?

I've got to attend weekly medical appointments at the moment and I've asked three Umbrella companies if they would process the expenses of attending them as a reasonable adjustment given that the additional costs arise due to disability.

According to HMRC, there are applicable exclusions in tax law e.g. for disability related travel expenses under Section 246 ITEPA 2003. The trouble is that the employer would normally pay and process the expenses as non taxable income.

But it begs the question, if I have to foot the cost of Employer's NI then why not other expenses? Is there any way an Umbrella can deduct expenses from my Gross to pay me back outside of taxable income?

So far the question has been pinged from the Umbrella expenses departments to compliance and HR. It hadn't occurred to me that Umbrellas have a HR department that would have to deal with these kind of requests.

I also suggested that they deduct my accomodation expenses from gross pre-tax income on the grounds of health and safety but they knocked that one back straight away.

I get the feeling I'm on a hiding to nothing but if you don't ask...it's all very well marketing an Umbrella as a good for contractor employment rights but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and so far they're not making the right noises.

What reasonable adjustments can an Umbrella provide other than payroll type stuff?

They won’t provide much (if anything) until you are actually earning money for them.
    When do you start your new job?
    Have you already spent the tens of thousands you had a few weeks ago?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Why don't you ask them?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You are dreaming man

Take your meds, bottle of vodka and relax

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

My start date is meant to be 13th Jan but my agent has been on leave for the last two weeks so it's not been finalised. Unlike the agency, HMRC and the Umbrellas have been answering my calls. I managed to get through to HMRC quite quickly so obviously no one else is sad enough to phone them between Christmas and NY but I spoke to three different people and got significantly different answers to the same question. There is an Umbrella HMRC hotline apparently.

NLUK, I have asked the Umbrellas and I reeled off a list of my limitations to see what they might come back with:

1) I currently require weekly treatment and long term secondary care input, which will incur additional travel costs from a client’s site.

2) I have to take long term anti seizure and sedating medications overnight which limit my ability to get up early for longer commutes and I therefore need to reduce the length of my commute as far as possible by staying close to company premises.

3) My medication and/or condition can impact on my ability to travel safely to work. I have to keep the DVLA up to date regarding my condition and they have revoked my driving licence in the past (last time 2018). The lowest risk Health and Safety option is to travel once a week and be based walking distance from a client site.

4) I cannot move close to the employers site because I need to maintain contact with my current long term health team.

My RA suggestion was that my expenses are processed outside of taxable income.

Ghost, I know it's wishful thinking but unlike a normal disclosure situation where I have to weigh up any request against the potential for discrimination, I don't need to disclose to the client so I may as well push my luck with an Umbrella because what's the worst they can do? I suppose they might pay me late for being awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
            My start date is meant to be 13th Jan but my agent has been on leave for the last two weeks so it's not been finalised. Unlike the agency, HMRC and the Umbrellas have been answering my calls. I managed to get through to HMRC quite quickly so obviously no one else is sad enough to phone them between Christmas and NY but I spoke to three different people and got significantly different answers to the same question. There is an Umbrella HMRC hotline apparently.

NLUK, I have asked the Umbrellas and I reeled off a list of my limitations to see what they might come back with:

1) I currently require weekly treatment and long term secondary care input, which will incur additional travel costs from a client’s site.

2) I have to take long term anti seizure and sedating medications overnight which limit my ability to get up early for longer commutes and I therefore need to reduce the length of my commute as far as possible by staying close to company premises.

3) My medication and/or condition can impact on my ability to travel safely to work. I have to keep the DVLA up to date regarding my condition and they have revoked my driving licence in the past (last time 2018). The lowest risk Health and Safety option is to travel once a week and be based walking distance from a client site.

4) I cannot move close to the employers site because I need to maintain contact with my current long term health team.

My RA suggestion was that my expenses are processed outside of taxable income.

Ghost, I know it's wishful thinking but unlike a normal disclosure situation where I have to weigh up any request against the potential for discrimination, I don't need to disclose to the client so I may as well push my luck with an Umbrella because what's the worst they can do? I suppose they might pay me late for being awkward.
            zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

I guess you have sedating medication too BR14. I'll let you know which is the most disability friendly Umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by mb31 View Post
                I guess you have sedating medication too BR14. I'll let you know which is the most disability friendly Umbrella.
                i'll pass.
                don't go away mad,etc

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  don't go away mad,etc
                  Interesting. I've had similar advice elsewhere.

Comment

I've a feeling you are going to have a very difficult contracting career.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X