• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does Umbrella provide professional indemnity insurance and public liability insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Umbrella provide professional indemnity insurance and public liability insurance

Hi,

I have been contracting using my own limited company until now.

I have just been offered a new contract and the client decided that all contracts are now inside IR35 (no exceptions) so I'll have to use their partner umbrella company for this engagement.

Now the agent is asking me to have the following insurances:

professional indemnity;
    public liability insurance;
    Employers Liability

They also asked me to provide limited company details and VAT registration details.

I am a bit confused. If I have to use the umbrella, then my ltd company should not come into the picture at all?

Shouldn't the umbrella provide the above insurances as I'll be treated as if I am an employee of the umbrella?

The policies I had with my ltd have all expired and I am not sure if I should renew them.

If I do have to provide the above insurances, whose name should appear in the policy: my ltd company name or the umbrella company name or myself?

Any suggestions/information will be greatly appreciated.

Ian

You don't need it. The client has said you're inside, so they are exercising Direction and Control, so PI is their liability.

Chances are the agency is still working to an old script...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

As the Umbrella company is now your employer, they should provide all insurance.

Have a look at the opening paragraphs from this (Contractor Umbrella) :

https://www.contractorumbrella.com/r...any-insurance/

Comment

Point them to the umbrella - job done

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Are you accepting an inside IR35 contract with the same client?

You may want to think about it first before you accept, you maybe proving to HMRC that you have always been inside IR35 and will have to pay back tax...

Comment

Yes any umbrella company should be able to provide you with full insurance documents, usually included within their margin

Comment

Working...
            X