• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella companies and pension providers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Positively or definitely? The proof is in the detail and some on there just use Nest.
    Definitely, which is why they went to my shortlist. But you obviously know better so the umbrella representatives that confirmed that were wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Um which ones? That list someone posted doesn't look right to me.
      If you don’t believe this is possible, I suggest do your own investigation.

My look has not been as exhaustive as that list, but I know some on it defiantly do pension salary sacrifice into a pre-existing pensions. Unless they have been lying to me and I have it in writing.
      Last edited by Paralytic; 18 January 2020, 23:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
        I have just joined Paystream and they are paying directly into my existing pension fund via Salary Sacrifice. One thing to note is the amount paid into the pension is based on the number of days worked in the pay period so you always get paid the NMW. I don’t think you can change the amount per day into the pension within the term of the contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        I think by law you need to pay the minimum wage. So you pay all the deductions on that (not much). I am assuming everything else then goes into your pension until the 40k limit is hit?

May I ask how much Paystream are charging a month? I don't seem to be able to find the amount on the website .... which seems a bit strange.

Comment

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post
          I think by law you need to pay the minimum wage. So you pay all the deductions on that (not much). I am assuming everything else then goes into your pension until the 40k limit is hit?

May I ask how much Paystream are charging a month? I don't seem to be able to find the amount on the website .... which seems a bit strange.
          Yes NMW is a legal requirement so you stipulate how much of your daily rate goes to your pension. This way you cant be paid less than the NMW by accident.

If you wanted to get to the £40K then you would pay £181 per day (£40000/220) into your pension. Sadly my day rate is not enough to allow me to put that into my pension and have a decent standard of living :-(

I’m on weekly invoicing so £22.50 per week Umbrella fees and £3.60 per week for the pension admin

Comment

Yes NMW is a legal requirement so you stipulate how much of your daily rate goes to your pension. This way you cant be paid less than the NMW by accident.

If you wanted to get to the £40K then you would pay £181 per day (£40000/220) into your pension. Sadly my day rate is not enough to allow me to put that into my pension and have a decent standard of living :-(

I’m on weekly invoicing so £22.50 per week Umbrella fees and £3.60 per week for the pension admin

Thank you very much for this. Extremely helpful. Those costs are not bad at all. I will contact them and ask if they charge more for keeping my Limited Company operational and dealing with Umbrella matters.

Thanks again.

Comment

I have just joined Paystream and they are paying directly into my existing pension fund via Salary Sacrifice. One thing to note is the amount paid into the pension is based on the number of days worked in the pay period so you always get paid the NMW. I don’t think you can change the amount per day into the pension within the term of the contract.

thanks for the info on this .... have put them on the beauty pagent list !

Comment

Originally posted by eatenrifles View Post
                I've just been going through the same thing. From the FCSA website, the following companies will allow salary sacrifice into your own existing pension fund:

Sapphire
                Champion
                Unified
                Numbermill
                Carrington
                Brookson
                Nasa
                Pendragon
                Paystream
                Orange Genie
                Liberty Bishop
                Fore Two
                Thank you for posting this. I'm in the same boat; looking at options to minimise the impact of taking an inside-IR35 contract by maximising pension contributions. Ideally, I'm looking for an umbrella that not only supports contributions to my existing SIPP but will also support using the 'carry forward' option to utilise the last three years of unused pension contributions.

So far I have spoken to Orange Genie. They confirm they will support contributions to my own SIPP and will allow 'carry forward'. They charge £20 per week. Unfortunately the agent won't do business with them so I'll be phoning round some of the others in the next few days.
                Last edited by zcapr17; 28 January 2020, 21:56.

Comment

Originally posted by zcapr17 View Post
                  Thank you for posting this. I'm in the same boat; looking at options to minimise the impact of taking an inside-IR35 contract by maximising pension contributions. Ideally, I'm looking for an umbrella that not only supports contributions to my existing SIPP but will also support using the 'carry forward' option to utilise the last three years of unused pension contributions.
                  I can't imagine why any Umbrella who supports payment into a pension won't support the carry forward of previous years unused allowances. So long as they comply with their legal obligations (paying minimum wage), its really up to you to tell them how much you want to pay, and for you to ensure you don't pay more than the cumulative maximum (which isn't actually a maximum but just a point at which you start to pay additional tax).

Remember that you must have been a member of an authorised pension scheme in the previous 3 years in order to be able to carry forward any unused allowances.

Comment

Originally posted by zcapr17 View Post

So far I have spoken to Orange Genie. They confirm they will support contributions to my own SIPP and will allow 'carry forward'. They charge £20 per week. Unfortunately the agent won't do business with them so I'll be phoning round some of the others in the next few days.
                    You're welcome. Worth contacting them all to discuss your requirements. The only one I struggled with was Unified, who initially claimed that no FCSA umbrella would be able to do what I was asking. After a bit of a discussion it turned out he thought other umbrellas were letting me self administer the payment into the SIPP on trust rather than deducting it at source and making the payments themselves (take from that what you will).

When I explained the actual situation they were OK in doing it, for a fee of course.

Comment

Brookson only using Aegon

Originally posted by eatenrifles View Post
                      I've just been going through the same thing. From the FCSA website, the following companies will allow salary sacrifice into your own existing pension fund:

Sapphire
                      Champion
                      Unified
                      Numbermill
                      Carrington
                      Brookson
                      Nasa
                      Pendragon
                      Paystream
                      Orange Genie
                      Liberty Bishop
                      Fore Two

If it's salary sacrifice, yes, it's taken from gross.
                      Hi,

Thanks for the list. I'm currently hunting for an umbrella for my first inside IR35 gig.

FYI just had Brookson on the phone to me, and their "sales rep" Sean said that they only deal with Aegon for pensions. So I wouldn't be able to pay into my existing SIPP :-(

Posting here incase it helps anyone.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X