Umbrella companies and pension providers Umbrella companies and pension providers - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 78
  1. #21

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ipswich, Suffolk
    Posts
    835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mhc View Post
    FYI just had Brookson on the phone to me, and their "sales rep" Sean said that they only deal with Aegon for pensions. So I wouldn't be able to pay into my existing SIPP :-(
    I spent an hour and a half on the phone to Aviva yesterday and they are adamant that this is not possible with them either

  2. #22

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mhc View Post
    Hi,

    Thanks for the list. I'm currently hunting for an umbrella for my first inside IR35 gig.

    FYI just had Brookson on the phone to me, and their "sales rep" Sean said that they only deal with Aegon for pensions. So I wouldn't be able to pay into my existing SIPP :-(

    Posting here incase it helps anyone.

    Regards,

    Mark
    Yep. My SIPP is with Aegon so Brookson said they could pay into that. They did, however, go quiet on me, leaving questions unanswered so I chose to leave them to it.

    Have updated my post to add that note to Brookson.
    Last edited by eatenrifles; 31st January 2020 at 23:47.

  3. #23

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    104

    Default

    I've signed up with Paystream, my first umbrella experience in 20 years or so. I chose Paystream because they at least returned my initial call without having to chase them - obviously the figures are pretty much identical across the brollies.

    I have to say, I don't know what I was expecting as part of this move, but being made to feel like I'm being a massive inconvenience to them wasn't what I thought would happen. I know they're not making a lot of money per week, but I am going to be paying them something.

    I've had to chase to get them to confirm everything is actually lined up and I can start the new gig, but after a few chasers I've managed to get their "welcome" call pulled forward. I was asked again about working hours per week (which will vary depending on what I work on), but I pointed out I was on a day rate rather than an hourly rate.

    I was also asked about working locations to see if I could claim any expenses. I explained that I probably would have to travel to a number of different locations depending on what I needed to do in order to complete my deliverables. That seemed to baffle them but they agreed with me when I said I probably couldn't claim any expenses due to being inside IR35 and it sounded like it might be a hassle for them anyway. "Yeah".

    I kind of assumed it would be like this, but I had hoped for an ounce of customer service. I'll see what happens when I start getting paid, I guess that's all that matters at the end of the day. Maybe things are worse just now due to the sheer volume of people who must be signing-up with these companies, but its just another thing that leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.

    I could move to another brolly before the gig starts, but I've no idea if that will be any better and I don't want to risk being left in no mans land if its not a smooth process.

    TLDR - old man shouts at clouds.

  4. #24

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ipswich, Suffolk
    Posts
    835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ascender View Post
    I could move to another brolly before the gig starts, but I've no idea if that will be any better and I don't want to risk being left in no mans land if its not a smooth process.
    You would need to check with your agency incase they will block that due to contractual arrangements being sorted. As for the customer service, there are still some of us out there who treat those as we wish to be treated ourselves

  5. #25

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ascender View Post
    That seemed to baffle them but they agreed with me when I said I probably couldn't claim any expenses due to being inside IR35 and it sounded like it might be a hassle for them anyway. "Yeah".
    You're now an employee of Paystream. IR35 doesn't apply.

  6. #26

    Should post faster

    DolanContractorGroup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Tring
    Posts
    168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eatenrifles View Post
    You're now an employee of Paystream. IR35 doesn't apply.
    True, but it's relevant for the purpose of claiming expenses. If the role is considered inside-IR35, then expenses for most workers are not allowed as the position is also considered under the supervision, direction and control of the client.

    Thanks


    Zeeshan

  7. #27

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post
    True, but it's relevant for the purpose of claiming expenses. If the role is considered inside-IR35, then expenses for most workers are not allowed as the position is also considered under the supervision, direction and control of the client.
    I've said this elsewhere. A significant number of people moving to an Umbrella will not be Inside IR35 and should at least investigate whether they are outside of SDS and can therefore claim expenses.

  8. #28

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
    I've said this elsewhere. A significant number of people moving to an Umbrella will not be Inside IR35 and should at least investigate whether they are outside of SDS and can therefore claim expenses.
    It's a good point but there is a strong correlation when a bum on seat is told to use a brolly. I'd say in this case its a pretty safe assumption SDC is involved.

    I'd be very surprised if only a very tiny majority could argue no SDC on a bum on seat gig even without a determination.

    That said your point is definitely some consideration though.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  9. #29

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
    I've said this elsewhere. A significant number of people moving to an Umbrella will not be Inside IR35 and should at least investigate whether they are outside of SDS and can therefore claim expenses.
    Its a moot point though - my next gig has made a blanket determination about the use of PSCs, so by association (wrong word) the "role" is Inside IR35. That's why I think some of my initial conversations with brollies have been difficult because I'm answering their basic questions about SDC in a way which makes the role seem outside (as it would have been a few months ago). Its all a bit of a contradiction really.
    Last edited by ascender; 12th February 2020 at 13:02.

  10. #30

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post
    True, but it's relevant for the purpose of claiming expenses. If the role is considered inside-IR35, then expenses for most workers are not allowed as the position is also considered under the supervision, direction and control of the client.
    Theoretically though, a role could have MOO, No RoS, but no SDC and be deemed inside (two of the three pillars failed).

    The same role through a brolly still has no SDC so is expense allowable?

    Unlikely, yes, possible, also yes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •