Under taxed by my umbrella, now I have a huge tax bill Under taxed by my umbrella, now I have a huge tax bill - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 62

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyCrane View Post
    Legitimate, well known umbrella co, with good recommendations from senior people I trust. They are accredited members of the FCSA.
    Sorry, but that really doesn't compute - there is no way £1 let alone £27,500 would go through a legitimate umbrella company's books without PAYE being correctly deducted. The umbrella company is liable for the Employers NI side of things so any screw up is their profit gone.

As I said before name them as without that I'm starting to think this is either fiction or you are missing out something very, very important.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Sorry, but that really doesn't compute - there is no way £1 let alone £27,500 would go through a legitimate umbrella company's books without PAYE being correctly deducted. The umbrella company is liable for the Employers NI side of things so any screw up is their profit gone.

As I said before name them as without that I'm starting to think this is either fiction or you are missing out something very, very important.
    OK, Contractor Umbrella Ltd. And to Major Hassle’s point about not realising, I am having employee and employer NI deducted, as well as PAYE, apprentice levy, employee and employer pension deductions, so not immediately obvious that tax was so low. What detail do you think I’m missing out here?

Some things in Moderation

OK, Contractor Umbrella Ltd. And to Major Hassle’s point about not realising, I am having employee and employer NI deducted, as well as PAYE, apprentice levy, employee and employer pension deductions, so not immediately obvious that tax was so low. What detail do you think I’m missing out here?
    Thank you BobbyCrane, is this a major mistake by Contractor Umbrella and I expect their customer service to help (seriously - what on Earth were they doing to allow you to get into this predicament??).

We await Contractor Umbrella’s response with some interest...
    Last edited by cojak; 23rd January 2020 at 11:02. Reason: Amended following BC’s clarification
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    Thank you BobbyCrane, is this a major mistake by Contractor Umbrella and I expect their customer service to help (seriously - what on Earth were they doing to allow you to get into this predicament??)[/B]

Yep - let's wait for Simon's / Dolan's response.
    Last edited by cojak; 23rd January 2020 at 11:00. Reason: Amended following BC’s clarification
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Nervous Newbie

Thank you BobbyCrane, is this a major mistake by Contractor Umbrella and I expect their customer service to help (seriously - what on Earth were they doing to allow you to get into this predicament??) If you have paid out all of the necessary deductions, where has the HMRC money gone??

They used the wrong tax code and so taxed at 20% not reflecting the total income level. I’ve been undertaxed, there’s no suggestion that they’ve run off with any money I’ve paid. My point has been that they are the professional provider of payroll services, I pay for that service and they messed up. I have been in constant exchange with the payroll manager and more recently the group director responsible for complaint handling. Both are hiding behind their belief that HMRC are responsible, not them, for correct tax codes in use.

TykeLike

They used the wrong tax code and so taxed at 20% not reflecting the total income level. I’ve been undertaxed, there’s no suggestion that they’ve run off with any money I’ve paid. My point has been that they are the professional provider of payroll services, I pay for that service and they messed up. I have been in constant exchange with the payroll manager and more recently the group director responsible for complaint handling. Both are hiding behind their belief that HMRC are responsible, not them, for correct tax codes in use.
    This is a lesson that some have found at their expense, you are paying for advice and convenience, not transfer of liability if it is wrong.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Yep - let's wait for Simon's / Dolan's response.
    Well they’ve refused to pass my complaint to him up to now, so I’m keen too to find out.

TykeLike

Thank you BobbyCrane, is this a major mistake by Contractor Umbrella and I expect their customer service to help (seriously - what on Earth were they doing to allow you to get into this predicament??). If you have paid out all of the necessary deductions, where has the HMRC money gone??

My guess is the OP has received it in good faith seeing tax deducted and has spent it
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    This is a lesson that some have found at their expense, you are paying for advice and convenience, not transfer of liability if it is wrong.
    I get that, but my contract with them is based on the expectation that they will fulfil their obligation to “make all appropriate deductions” as set out on their website. They haven’t and therefore I believe it is a breach of contract.

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    My guess is the OP has received it in good faith seeing tax deducted and has spent it
    Yep, exactly that.