• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Under taxed by my umbrella, now I have a huge tax bill

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobbyCrane View Post
    I get that, but my contract with them is based on the expectation that they will fulfil their obligation to “make all appropriate deductions” as set out on their website. They haven’t and therefore I believe it is a breach of contract.
    And they can only work out the tax based on the information given to them.

Did you give them either a P60 or a P45?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

They used the wrong tax code and so taxed at 20% not reflecting the total income level.
      Ok, so your tax code is usually, at least in my experience, shown on your payslip. Ignoring, for a moment, how "complex" your payslip is; what tax code were they using, and why didn't this ring alarm bells with you?

That's not to say that I don't have some sympathy with you, just that there's blame on both sides here.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH
        And their name is?
        KUATB!

He's already said it Contractor Umbrella

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          KUATB!

He's already said it Contractor Umbrella

Sorry, deleted my already answered post.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
            Ok, so your tax code is usually, at least in my experience, shown on your payslip. Ignoring, for a moment, how "complex" your payslip is; what tax code were they using, and why didn't this ring alarm bells with you?

That's not to say that I don't have some sympathy with you, just that there's blame on both sides here.
            Even easier than that, if OP gave CU a P45 or P60 the code will be on there, if he didn't then CU will emergency tax him at 20% which it looks like whats happened.

Comment

I may be entirely mistaken but, as I understand it, an employer operating PAYE is obliged by law to deduct all employment taxes before paying the employee.

So the amount you received is what your employer (the umbrella) has calculated as the net amount after all required taxes have been deducted.

If the employer's NIC paid is incorrect, that is entirely their problem, nothing to do with you.

If the employee NIC and income tax are incorrect, I also contend that is entirely their problem and it's they who should be paying the missing amounts to HMRC. Unlucky for them but, if tens of thousands of other companies around the UK whose primary function is not running a payroll can manage not to screw up so badly, perhaps the umbrella needs to look at their processes and staff.

Of course I'm neither an accountant, a tax expert or a lawyer, but if I were in your position I'd speak to someone familiar with taxation law. Perhaps one of the resident and very helpful tax experts can comment?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                I may be entirely mistaken but, as I understand it, an employer operating PAYE is obliged by law to deduct all employment taxes before paying the employee.

So the amount you received is what your employer (the umbrella) has calculated as the net amount after all required taxes have been deducted.

If the employer's NIC paid is incorrect, that is entirely their problem, nothing to do with you.

If the employee NIC and income tax are incorrect, I also contend that is entirely their problem and it's they who should be paying the missing amounts to HMRC. Unlucky for them but, if tens of thousands of other companies around the UK whose primary function is not running a payroll can manage not to screw up so badly, perhaps the umbrella needs to look at their processes and staff.

Of course I'm neither an accountant, a tax expert or a lawyer, but if I were in your position I'd speak to someone familiar with taxation law. Perhaps one of the resident and very helpful tax experts can comment?
                The crux of the argument is the information the employer us using make the calculations.
                • If they have been given the right information and made the wrong calculations you could be right
                • If they have been given the wrong information (in the form of a P45 or P60) and made the right calculations based on that information I'm afraid the OP will be responsible

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

The problem is that paying the correct tax is down to the individual. It doesn't matter that you trusted your advisor to tell you the right amounts, it's still your responsibility

There is a separate argument about recovering that money from whichever advisor made the mistake, if indeed it is that simple, but the OP will have to find the money from somewhere.

And I suspect CU will not comment publicly until they fully understand what happened.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    The crux of the argument is the information the employer us using make the calculations.
                    • If they have been given the right information and made the wrong calculations you could be right
                    • If they have been given the wrong information (in the form of a P45 or P60) and made the right calculations based on that information I'm afraid the OP will be responsible
                    To pick up on a couple of Qs, they were in place before the year end (Jan 18) and had the detail of my 2017/18 position at that point. The problem relates to 2018/19 where they had the whole tax year as the only employer. Again, my point is that they processed all my income for the whole year, they could see what was being paid and that this would exceed the threshold for the code I was on. After three months (or less) they should, as a responsible payroll processor, have noticed that and told me to talk to HMRC about a change of code. HMRC tell me they issued a recovery code via RTI in September 18 but CU say they never got it. I am not an expert, they are. They are not an advisor, they are a professional service provider.

Comment

To pick up on a couple of Qs, they were in place before the year end (Jan 18) and had the detail of my 2017/18 position at that point. The problem relates to 2018/19 where they had the whole tax year as the only employer. Again, my point is that they processed all my income for the whole year, they could see what was being paid and that this would exceed the threshold for the code I was on. After three months (or less) they should, as a responsible payroll processor, have noticed that and told me to talk to HMRC about a change of code. HMRC tell me they issued a recovery code via RTI in September 18 but CU say they never got it. I am not an expert, they are. They are not an advisor, they are a professional service provider.

What was your tax code in 2017/18?
                      What was it in 2018/19?
                      What is it this year?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X