Using an Umbrella? CHECK YOUR TAX CODE!! Using an Umbrella? CHECK YOUR TAX CODE!!
Posts 1 to 8 of 8

Some things in Moderation

Default Using an Umbrella? CHECK YOUR TAX CODE!!

If you are moving from from outside to inside IR35 and you are going to use an Umbrella, tell them of your current tax code in writing and make sure that that you check your Tax Code as soon as possible!!.

Generally, when people move from one employer to another, their P45 or P60 goes with them and the tax code is on there. Your circumstances may mean that you didn’t hand your P45 or P60 to the Umbrella when you switched from your Ltd.

If this is the case, unless you tell them, the Umbrella will place you on the Emergency tax code at 20% - YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY THE DIFFERENCE IN THE FUTURE.

Ultimately it is your responsibility to get it right, so contact your Umbrella AND HMRC ASAP, then this may only be 1 months back tax that you owe.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make myself look wise and well read."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    If you are moving from from outside to inside IR35 and you are going to use an Umbrella, tell them of your current tax code in writing and make sure that that you check your Tax Code as soon as possible!!.

Generally, when people move from one employer to another, their P45 or P60 goes with them and the tax code is on there. Your circumstances may mean that you didn’t hand your P45 or P60 to the Umbrella when you switched from your Ltd.

If this is the case, unless you tell them, the Umbrella will place you on the Emergency tax code at 20% - YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY THE DIFFERENCE IN THE FUTURE.

Ultimately it is your responsibility to get it right, so contact your Umbrella AND HMRC ASAP, then this may only be 1 months back tax that you owe.
    or even a single month (month 2 / 3) with slightly less money as things are corrected.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Fingers like lightning

No umbrella company should process any payments without a P45 or a signed starter checklist

Some things in Moderation

Quote Originally Posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
    No umbrella company should process any payments without a P45 or a signed starter checklist
    Which includes notification of the tax code I guess?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make myself look wise and well read."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Fingers like lightning

Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    Which includes notification of the tax code I guess?
    Absolutely from the P45, dependent on which statement is ticked on the starter checklist, dictates what tax code to use to submit the first payment, after that we would normally expect to see a coding notice change from HMRC to amend if needs be.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

Quote Originally Posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
    Absolutely from the P45, dependent on which statement is ticked on the starter checklist, dictates what tax code to use to submit the first payment, after that we would normally expect to see a coding notice change from HMRC to amend if needs be.

Will that coding notice change only be generated if HMRC are made aware that the circumstances have changed/the current one is incorrect?

If not, how else would they know to send a change?
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Will that coding notice change only be generated if HMRC are made aware that the circumstances have changed/the current one is incorrect?

I think that's where the "if needs be" aspect of Lucy's post comes from...

HMRC won't change a code if no-one tells them of a change in circumstances.

Fingers like lightning

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post

I believe it would only be issued, if HMRC can see two incomes, if it is another PAYE income then this should be spotted by HMRC when it is reported and hence will kick out a notice. If it is another income and HMRC are not notified until the end of the tax year then nothing an umbrella can do. The individual would have to notify HMRC to see if an adjustment was required.