• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella questions about SDC expenses, pensions and Scottish tax bands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andydd68 View Post
    Just started with Parasol and they can pay into PensionBee easily enough, took a few emails back n forth, they will only do monthly (not sure wether its a set date) and only a set amount not a %

As for expenses, etc..they seem happy enough to pay mileage, Im working on assumption Im not covered by SDC (yes I know this was discussed earlier in the thread, but SDC is not IR35 although its similar in scope).

They 'will' also pay expenses on software/equipment bought solely for the role, although in practice I found this very difficult and gave up trying to persuade them my O365 licence of £5 was a valid expense.
    Don't assume you will get that money come April as IR35 overrides the SDC get out when it comes to expenses see the IR35 examples on Travel and subsistence expenses for workers engaged through 'employment intermediaries' from 6 April 2016 - GOV.UK

and I suspect HMRC may be looking at your claims going forward and disallowing them...

But nice to see Parasol haven't changed their stripes.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by gaz777 View Post
      I've a friend who's just been told Parasol will pay into any SIPP. However, they've only started this in the last few weeks due to demand. While interesting, I don't fancy being a guinea pig for their new services...
      Be interesting to see if this is the case, I have seen others who have been told that and then have ended up not being able to.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Don't assume you will get that money come April as IR35 overrides the SDC get out when it comes to expenses see the IR35 examples on Travel and subsistence expenses for workers engaged through 'employment intermediaries' from 6 April 2016 - GOV.UK

and I suspect HMRC may be looking at your claims going forward and disallowing them...

But nice to see Parasol haven't changed their stripes.
        I doubt it...

Comment

I doubt it...
          Is your contract inside IR35 - if it is you can't claim expenses - the SDC exemption is for outside IR35 contracts..

Comment

Employer contributions to Fidelity SIPP

Originally posted by gaz777 View Post

Does anyone use an umbrella that does make contributions to Fidelity?
            From my understanding Fidelity will accept a single employer contribution into their SIPP - <mod snip>

All this means that each month you will be required to complete this form in order to notify Fidelity of the amount that is being paid.

You just need to find an umbrella whois prepared to work with you to achieve this
            Last edited by cojak; 5 March 2020, 12:13. Reason: Advertising removed and poster to be investigated

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Is your contract inside IR35 - if it is you can't claim expenses - the SDC exemption is for outside IR35 contracts..
              In/Out..shake it all about..........its outside at the moment...it will be inside once clock hits April 6th.....yes I know how ridiculous that is..but thats the new world we are entering...as we all know..its doesnt matter whether its actually in/out or whether a client has done a reasonable SDS...they are risk averse so everyone is gonna be In ......with a few exceptions.

Plus your comment isnt correct..you can be Inside IR35 or even employed as fully perm and claim some expenses..the uniform/washing is an obvious one thats often pitched...many umbrellas also allow you to claim (limited) others, mileage being another example.........perhaps wrongly ?

Comment

In/Out..shake it all about..........its outside at the moment...it will be inside once clock hits April 6th.....yes I know how ridiculous that is..but thats the new world we are entering...as we all know..its doesnt matter whether its actually in/out or whether a client has done a reasonable SDS...they are risk averse so everyone is gonna be In ......with a few exceptions.

Plus your comment isnt correct..you can be Inside IR35 or even employed as fully perm and claim some expenses..the uniform/washing is an obvious one thats often pitched...many umbrellas also allow you to claim (limited) others, mileage being another example.........perhaps wrongly ?
                For expenses here we are talking travel of a commuting type to your fixed place(s) of work.

And If you are claiming for uniform cleaning you are well and truly inside.

Comment

Working...
                X