how to work out if an umbrella company is dodgy: holiday pay etc how to work out if an umbrella company is dodgy: holiday pay etc
Posts 1 to 5 of 5

Nervous Newbie

Default how to work out if an umbrella company is dodgy: holiday pay etc

Hi
    A broker contacted me and the umbrella he proposes is not registered with the FCSA so that's my first red flag.
    I have done some calculations of take home pay as a percentage of gross, giving further red flags.

weekly gross £1435
    broker's umbrella deduct £244 p/week (17% of gross). Take home pay £1191 per week including holiday.
    FCSA umbrella deduct £526 p/week (36.7% of gross). Take home pay £909 per week including holiday.

Can anyone assist with how I calculate the holiday, and what other red flags I am missing with the umbrella recommended by the broker, please? I am new to this. The FCSA umbrella (Giant) seem more realistic.

Thanks.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

It sounds dodgy.

What is the name of the broker, and what is the name of their suggested umbrella?
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

Double Godlike!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...

As a rule of thumb, don't go with any umbrella that charges a percentage of your rate. They all have the same work to do, so should be charging about the same amount regardless of your gross.

Equally, don't go a with a broker, do your own research and comparisons against a sensible baseline (Clarity or SJD/Contractor Umbrella, for example).
    Blog? What blog...?

Fingers like lightning

Quote Originally Posted by eskimalita View Post
    Hi
    broker's umbrella deduct £244 p/week (17% of gross). Take home pay £1191 per week including holiday.
    FCSA umbrella deduct £526 p/week (36.7% of gross). Take home pay £909 per week including holiday.
    Take Home should be as follows:

Weekly Gross Contract Rate £1,435.00

Employer National Insurance £150.09
    Employment Tax £6.27
    Employee National Insurance £101.35
    Employee Tax £261.00
    Total All Tax £518.72
    Margin £25.00

Total Net Income £891.28

Quote Originally Posted by eskimalita View Post
    Can anyone assist with how I calculate the holiday, and what other red flags I am missing with the umbrella recommended by the broker, please? I am new to this. The FCSA umbrella (Giant) seem more realistic.
    Holiday is included within the Gross figure ie the £1,435.00, stating it includes holiday is taking it out of the gross figure and paying it straight back within the net figure, so nothing to calculate as such. If you want to see the breakdown, best to ask for a mock payslip with the holiday pay as rolled up on the payslip. If you choose to accrue then this can be done at 12.07% - again from the Gross figure.

Some things in Moderation

Yes, treat ANY cold-calling Umbrella as dodgy.

Very simple.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...