• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency told me to use one of two umbrellas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. Most agencies have their own Umbrella preferred suppliers lists. People will only be able to choose from that list.
    2. Contractors can indeed walk away from the contract if their current umbrella is not on the PSL.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Agency told me to use one of two umbrellas

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      1. Plenty.

2. Plenty and in a vast majority they didn't budge. Why would you walk away just because you can't use a brolly you want? You must a lot more money than me.
      Hi northernladuk

Thanks for the response

Reason for wanting to pick and stick to one umbrella could be:

1. Some offer enhanced benefits (some you pay for and some are included in fees)
      2. They act as your employer and you accrue employment benefits such as redundancy pay after qualifying period and if you move umbrella all the time, this may not happen if you are not with them long enough.

I get your points about the practices that are happening in the contractor world but many contractors are now being treated as perm employees and we are not going to be given the benefits and perks the many perm employees get.
      If the happens long term, my opinion is that somewhere down the line, someone is going to raise a legal challenge and sue the employers for compensation and lack of benefits.
      This has happened in the USA when the IRS classed a lot of contract staff as perm and taxed them as such, the contractors later went after the employer for benefits in court and won (as in Microsoft).

Regarding walking away, it's up everyone to make that call depending on their principles and financial situation.
      Some will have a choice and some will be forced to accept what they are given, just a fact of life.

I happen to have a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jpmbosco View Post
        My agency which had a list of eleven umbrella companies on Monday has been told by the end client that contractors can now only use one of two companies for the change over in April as they have taken the stance, no PSCs.
        and the playing field gets even smaller - whatever next!?

Comment

The annoying point that often gets missed with having to constantly change brolly, is the automatic enrolment into a pension, meaning you have tuppence hapenny in a dozen different schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
            The annoying point that often gets missed with having to constantly change brolly, is the automatic enrolment into a pension, meaning you have tuppence hapenny in a dozen different schemes.
            You can always check with their scheme provider, as a lot have no charges to take the funds out and move them across, but obviously depends on whether your scheme charges to put the funds in.

Comment

Working...
            X