• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency told me to use one of two umbrellas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi All

My agency which had a list of eleven umbrella companies on Monday has been told by the end client that contractors can now only use one of two companies for the change over in April as they have taken the stance, no PSCs.

Does anyone else have this experience and as the Umbrella is now to be my employer, what happened to my right to choose who I am employed by as long as they pay the correct tax?

right? - what right?

Comment

Welcome to the big bad nasty unfair world....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        right? - what right?

Comment

You’ve a right to not accept their precondition and walk away.

Comment

You have 2 options

Walk away
            Or
            Take one of the 2 options

Ohhh and no rights

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              You have 2 options

Walk away
              Or
              Take one of the 2 options
              That’s 3 options

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                That’s 3 options
                no it isn't

Comment

Hi All

Thanks for your collective responses.

Perhaps I misphrased my statement "what happened to my right to choose"
                  The gist of what I wanted help with was:
                  1. Has anyone else been forced to use an umbrella company nominated by their agency?
                  2. Normally if I am the end consumer of goods or services, I get to choose to buy/use any one of them or to walk away. (I think the consensus is "Walk away". Has anyone tried to force the issue?

Sorry if some of you on the forum think I may be naive and a complete beginner here, I have in fact been contracting for 23 years with a lot of good contracts under my belt and I am well aware that it is very much a take it or leave it situation sometimes.

I would hope that we can help each other a bit with our collective experience along the way.

Comment

1. Plenty.

2. Plenty and in a vast majority they didn't budge. Why would you walk away just because you can't use a brolly you want? You must a lot more money than me.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X