• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legally, whose choice is it which Ubrella Company I work with?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legally, whose choice is it which Ubrella Company I work with?

Seems to me that it is my choice which Umbrella Contract I work under, no?

Originally posted by vlc View Post
    Yeah of course.

Just like it’s the clients/agencies right to choose who they work with, no?

Therefore in practice you come to an agreement usually by picking from a list they are happy with.

Comment

If only!
      The agency may well have a preferred supplier list, and if you don't like their choice, they may simply say tough and you take it or leave it! It's wrong in my eyes as we handle your money, so you should be happy with it. But from their perspective they could take on the liabilities if a contractor uses an avoidance scheme.

Comment

To an extent. You can chose who you work for but you cannot chose who the agent will engage with. Remember the contract is between them and the umbrella so not unreasonable they will want to vet who they enter in to contracts with. So the key dependancy is not you and brolly. It's brolly an agent.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't trust strangers, even when they get someone else to say 'trust me'

Do I not need to TRUST the Umbrella company? Is there not any risk to me, regarding which umbrella company I'm employed by? If I don't know them or don't trust them to handle my emplyment, then imposing them on me seems very unfair and risky. Who will cover that risk?
          Prior to this, it was my choice to deal with the employer I preferred.
          And I see there are accreditors popping up, claiming to vouch for the quality of an Umbrella Company, but why should I trust the FCSA?? It's very easy to claim to be an accreditor. It's just a club.
          Last edited by vlc; 6 February 2020, 04:57.

Comment

Do I not need to TRUST the Umbrella company? Is there not any risk to me, regarding which umbrella company I'm employed by? If I don't know them or don't trust them to handle my emplyment, then imposing them on me seems very unfair and risky. Who will cover that risk?
            And I see there are accreditors popping up, claiming to vouch for the quality of an Umbrella Company, but why should I trust the FCSA?? It's very easy to claim to be an accreditor. It's just a club.
            Indeed a risk

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...gone-bust.html

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

You do but in many cases the agency has done some background work on the umbrella so a bit more security there.

And to be fair they are doing some people a massive favour. With so many 85% schemes still around that the greedy can fall for they are actually doing you a huuuuge favour.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi vlc,

I think it's important to work with a company you can trust.

Also, it's not the accreditor (FCSA) that audits us. It's either EY, BDO or Saffery Champness. Proper auditors that assess the company's financial position.

Thanks

Zeeshan
                Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Originally posted by DolanContractorGroup View Post
                  Hi vlc,

I think it's important to work with a company you can trust.

Also, it's not the accreditor (FCSA) that audits us. It's either EY, BDO or Saffery Champness. Proper auditors that assess the company's financial position.

Thanks

Zeeshan
                  But equally the agency needs to trust the umbrella's being used especially in the new world where it's possible that even known umbrellas could be offering expenses or still paying the contractor's limited company deemed payments (as an agent mentioned to me yesterday) to support an SDS appeal.

Plus with the number of "umbrella" firms around were I an agent I wouldn't be letting anyone use any umbrella that had not been personally vetted by my firm. And that would mean pick from this list or continue looking.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    I wouldn't be letting anyone use any umbrella that had not been personally vetted by my firm. And that would mean pick from this list or continue looking.
                    I think that is the key, the agencies are simply relying on the audit with no actual due diligence over and above that from what I have seen.

Comment

Working...
                    X