• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrellaworx

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VelcroPower View Post
    I've been through both "audits" from the PSC and umbrella side

The FCSA one is much more stringent than the PP one, even though neither are what I would really call an audit.

It's a shame, because a regulatory body makes sense but they are all mainly marking their own homework.
    I had a long argument with the FCSA board last week saying that there aren't good enough for what they claim to be. But at least I can look at their list and trust the names on it won't screw your future.

I can't say the same about the PP list anymore based on them listing umbrellaworx.

But while personally FCSA is beyond useless - they are the best we have got until HMRC starts doing things themselves - and what's annoying is that HMRC could easily provide a list with probably a weeks work and a join between VAT and PAYE systems
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by andydd68 View Post
      Better food with the Mafia ?
      Yeah but not many ex customers around to ask for feedback....
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I had a long argument with the FCSA board last week saying that there aren't good enough for what they claim to be. But at least I can look at their list and trust the names on it won't screw your future.

I can't say the same about the PP list anymore based on them listing umbrellaworx.

But while personally FCSA is beyond useless - they are the best we have got until HMRC starts doing things themselves - and what's annoying is that HMRC could easily provide a list with probably a weeks work and a join between VAT and PAYE systems
        I can't comment on whether they are good enough or not but the fact they have such a high bar with their requirements and costs leading to a closed shop of old boys hacks me off. Newer companies with fresh ideas and more competition just can't get their nose in so stifling the choice for us.
        The agents equivalent are happy to work with the new style agencies as well as the big bricks and mortar stuff so are staying relevant. Fcsa not so. They appear to be shooting their industry in the foot rather than helping it.

Comment

Just to add another firm to avoid is taxsavinguk dot co dot uk who are currently spamming linked in feeds.

Comment

Just to add another firm to avoid is taxsavinguk dot co dot uk who are currently spamming linked in feeds.
            Safe to say Miss Freeman has had a new one ripped

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Safe to say Miss Freeman has had a new one ripped
              Can you tell that I really don't like them..

Comment

Can you tell that I really don't like them..
                And the person who I was attacking has just liked a comment in which I pointed out people have committed suicide after joining schemes like the one she was trying to sell... WTAF?

Comment

Umbrellaworx

Thanks for the input guys. Me and my workmates have been trying to make some progress...but no real progress yet. The agency has point blank refused to consider Clarity as it isn't with Passport. Can we tell the agency that we have the right to choose the umbrella instead of them telling us as most of us would then go with Clarity? We are still being pushed to Umbrellaworx even though I've shown your comments to the consultants there. Some of the guys I work with have decided to use Umbrellaworx as they like the bigger take home but lots of us are more cautious.

Even though FCSA does has negative comments on here we have spoken to a few umbrellas who seemed ok and then one of the guys came across this website www dot savenhsworkers.org/public-articles.html that has put us right off FCSA. The umbrella world seems totally mad to us lot. Isn't the government doing anything about this as they have brought about the IR35 mess?

Comment

Originally posted by Pturner View Post
                    Thanks for the input guys. Me and my workmates have been trying to make some progress...but no real progress yet. The agency has point blank refused to consider Clarity as it isn't with Passport. Can we tell the agency that we have the right to choose the umbrella instead of them telling us as most of us would then go with Clarity? We are still being pushed to Umbrellaworx even though I've shown your comments to the consultants there. Some of the guys I work with have decided to use Umbrellaworx as they like the bigger take home but lots of us are more cautious.

Even though FCSA does has negative comments on here we have spoken to a few umbrellas who seemed ok and then one of the guys came across this website Public Articles that has put us right off FCSA. The umbrella world seems totally mad to us lot. Isn't the government doing anything about this as they have brought about the IR35 mess?
                    Right lets be clear again

Our problems with FCSA is that they are a cartel and expensive to get into - but at least we know they are vaguely honest.

Now we know Professional Passport allows Umbrellaworx to be listed on it - it's a pile of rubbish so let's not go there.

Check the FCSA list, find the umbrellas that are also on the PP list and use one of those. If you want to do more than that this is the criteria to use

1) Speed of payment relative to receipt (must be same day process and same day or BACs payment)
                    2) Responsiveness of staff (phone / email)
                    3) Salary Sacrifice into pension (how, where to and how much extra)
                    4) Perkbox / Staff Treats
                    5) Other Salary Sacrifice options (health care / car / cycle to work)....

Oh and ask the director of the agency whether they are aware of what the consequences of introducing people to a tax avoidance scheme is (and whether unknowingly doing so would be a valid excuse to HMRC)
                    Last edited by eek; 10 March 2020, 09:40.

Comment

Working...
                    X