• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Umbrella from PSL (again !)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Umbrella from PSL (again !)

I have been through the site and seen other similar questions but they don't quite answer mine. Many other PSL questions seem to have included Paystream which is recommended but not on mine.

My PSL list is:
    • Nasa Group
    • Clipper Contracting
    • Crest Plus
    • Danbro
    • Giant Group
    • JMK Group
    • Racs Group
    • Sterling Group
    • Umbrella.co.uk

I have already seen that Giant has had some issues in the past so have ruled them out. I have seen the odd mention of Danbro and Nasa but not the others.

What experience do people have of the umbrellas in that list and which would you pick out of that bunch ?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Tell them you want to use Clarity Umbrella and then get Lucy to ring then. Sorted.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

NASA

Would be my choice

Because it’s 1st on the list and each and every umbrella will pay you exactly the same amount (couple of quid margin besides) or you could waste your time getting quotations from each on take home and go for the biggest, only to find out the quote was wrong when you end up with 52% ish of gross rate in your personal bank account

Each umbrella might make £2- £10 a month profit from you, set your expectations accordingly

Ps remember to change your tax code pronto

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Tell them you want to use Clarity Umbrella and then get Lucy to ring then. Sorted.
        If that doesn't work, I used Danbro about 6 or 7 years ago and they were fine

Comment

Thanks. Unfortunately they are quite adamant that this is the list following their own due diligence.

I am not too concerned about the actual take home pay because, as you say, they should all be within a few pounds of each other.

My question for a recommendation would be more about response to questions, reliability and speed of payments, flexibility on pensions etc

Comment

Ask them - the only differences are:

1) Speed of payment relative to receipt (must be same day process and same day or BACs payment)
            2) Responsiveness of staff (phone / email)
            3) Salary Sacrifice into pension (how, where to and how much extra)
            4) Perkbox / Staff Treats
            5) Other Salary Sacrifice options (health care / car / cycle to work)....

Given that the rates are almost fixed (£90 a month say) and everything else is equal these really are the only things that matter.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              If that doesn't work, I used Danbro about 6 or 7 years ago and they were fine
              Until they go awol, no pay, phones off, ignoring email, no apology when they finally returned weeks later.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
                Until they go awol, no pay, phones off, ignoring email, no apology when they finally returned weeks later.
                Ah... They were fine back in the day. I have no idea how they operate now. Good to know. Happy to have my comment superseded by something more recent.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post

Have you used their umbrella service? Do you have more information on how they work and what you didn't like? I am planning to register their umbrella service. I used their accouncy service and I was happy with the level of support they showed, depsite the fact it was quite expensive but I chose that option.

Comment

Working...
                  X