• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Companies and SDC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone

I'm just about to sign up to an umbrella company for my new contract and I have some questions relating to Supervision, Direction and Control. I would be most appreciative of any advice
    1. Am I correct in thinking that if SDC does not apply, commuting costs can be deducted from the gross payment before tax (ie you get tax relief on them)?
    2. Can this deduction be at source rather than claiming back via self assessment? (I've read conflicting information on this)
    3. Who determines if SDC applies?
    4. Is the contractor responsible for underpaid tax/NI if the 'no SDC' status is successfully challenged?

Kind Regards

Originally posted by Moneymonster View Post
    Hi Everyone

I'm just about to sign up to an umbrella company for my new contract and I have some questions relating to Supervision, Direction and Control. I would be most appreciative of any advice [emoji4]
    1. Am I correct in thinking that if SDC does not apply, commuting costs can be deducted from the gross payment before tax (ie you get tax relief on them)?
    2. Can this deduction be at source rather than claiming back via self assessment? (I've read conflicting information on this)
    3. Who determines if SDC applies?
    4. Is the contractor responsible for underpaid tax/NI if the 'no SDC' status is successfully challenged?

Kind Regards
    I’ve got this guys

1. No you can claim zero expenses (not even your accountant, travel or new laptops etc)
    2. No see above
    3. Nobody in this situation
    4. No see above
    5. Your most sensible question

Anything else ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
    X