• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Missed Holiday Pay on 2019

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Which umbrella are you using?
    That's only part of the questions that need to be asked the second one is whether holiday pay was done via accruals or via advanced payment.

either way it's the OPs responsibility to know what they needed to do and I wouldn't be expecting an umbrella to pick things like this up...
    Last edited by eek; 6 April 2020, 15:34.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      You posted this in the Umbrella section of the forum, but it looks like your contract is with these guys.

Workforce Solutions | Carbon60

Are you sure you're working via an Umbrella-type contract?

As for your original query - its pretty standard in employment - holidays are use-or-lose (unless otherwise agreed). You had the opportunity to use the carry-over in 6 weeks but did not. Expecting an employer (or Umbrella, or Agency) to manage your holidays for you is a bit naive.

You can go speak to Citizens Advice, and see what they say?
      Isn't that the Impellam S3 lot? Maybe Andy H can comment?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Isn't that the Impellam S3 lot? Maybe Andy H can comment?
        Impellam isn't S3 group - it's Lorien..

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          You posted this in the Umbrella section of the forum, but it looks like your contract is with these guys.

Workforce Solutions | Carbon60

Are you sure you're working via an Umbrella-type contract?

As for your original query - its pretty standard in employment - holidays are use-or-lose (unless otherwise agreed). You had the opportunity to use the carry-over in 6 weeks but did not. Expecting an employer (or Umbrella, or Agency) to manage your holidays for you is a bit naive.

You can go speak to Citizens Advice, and see what they say?
          I apologize for being naive, isn't it one of their task to take care of the financial matters ? This is what they do, they deal with everything related to our paperwork and the salary and everything.

How come two of my colleagues with different agencies/umbrella, sorry if I got the wrong terminology, are actually automatically getting the untaken days into their bank account ?
          They haven't done anything special, it's just common sense. I mean, I really don't understand, one does not simply has to specify he needs to be paid, he just gets paid, that is common sense.

How can we think differently, there Clearly something that needs to be changed in their contract.

Comment

I don't see anywhere on Carbon60's website that they are offering umbrella services to contractors, it just seems to be a recruitment company.

Are you sure you're working for them as an umbrella, and not as a normal permanent employee?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Rasol View Post
              How come two of my colleagues with different agencies/umbrella, sorry if I got the wrong terminology, are actually automatically getting the untaken days into their bank account ?
              The terminology is the key thing, there's a big difference between agencies and umbrellas:
              An agency - that's a company that finds roles for you
              An umbrella - that's a company that handles your pay and taxes, based on you getting a role through an agent. The umbrella does not get you roles.

They haven't done anything special, it's just common sense. I mean, I really don't understand, one does not simply has to specify he needs to be paid, he just gets paid, that is common sense.

How can we think differently, there Clearly something that needs to be changed in their contract.
              If you're a permanent employee - not a contractor, then you get so many days holiday a year - it's in your contract of employment. These days are up to you when you take them, etc. If you don't take all your holidays, then it's up to you to have agreed with the company before hand what you're going to do - will they pay you for them, let you carry some of them over to the following year, etc.
              I find it hard to believe that you had 28 days paid holidays in a year, but you didn't take a single day off.
              I'm also confused as to whether you are a contractor or an employee.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I apologize for being naive, isn't it one of their task to take care of the financial matters ? This is what they do, they deal with everything related to our paperwork and the salary and everything.

Nope, it's your responsibility to look after yourself and that includes finding out what your contract says and especially how holidays work.

As of today Agencies need to send out Key information documents and until today I really couldn't see why there was a need for it. I now can...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  That's only part of the questions that need to be asked the second one is whether holiday pay was done via accruals or via advanced payment.

either way it's the OPs responsibility to know what they needed to do and I wouldn't be expecting an umbrella to pick things like this up...
                  I think it's an umbrella, because I had a contract for 6 months and then another one of 3, and then again 4. I had a recent extension I haven't signed yet, so the proper terminology must be umbrella and not agency. I have the status of self-employed, I pay tax through PAYE.

I don't know about accruals or advanced payment, all I know is that GE is paying them a gross bill. From that they deduct many things including holiday hourly rate.

Can Anyone please explain why some company have common sense to pay the holiday remaining days at the end of the year, and some just won't ?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    The terminology is the key thing, there's a big difference between agencies and umbrellas:
                    An agency - that's a company that finds roles for you
                    An umbrella - that's a company that handles your pay and taxes, based on you getting a role through an agent. The umbrella does not get you roles.

If you're a permanent employee - not a contractor, then you get so many days holiday a year - it's in your contract of employment. These days are up to you when you take them, etc. If you don't take all your holidays, then it's up to you to have agreed with the company before hand what you're going to do - will they pay you for them, let you carry some of them over to the following year, etc.
                    I find it hard to believe that you had 28 days paid holidays in a year, but you didn't take a single day off.
                    I'm also confused as to whether you are a contractor or an employee.
                    I took day off, I just didn't ask to be paid at that point in time.
                    I'm a self-employed contractor considered an employee by HMRC. I think

Comment

I think it's an umbrella, because I had a contract for 6 months and then another one of 3, and then again 4. I had a recent extension I haven't signed yet, so the proper terminology must be umbrella and not agency. I have the status of self-employed, I pay tax through PAYE.

I don't know about accruals or advanced payment, all I know is that GE is paying them a gross bill. From that they deduct many things including holiday hourly rate.

Can Anyone please explain why some company have common sense to pay the holiday remaining days at the end of the year, and some just won't ?
                      By the sounds of it you are on the Agency's payroll so it's not an umbrella and if you are on PAYE you are not self employed.

As for the rest umbrella companies may have processes in place to check for unused holiday as they deal with such small margins that unpaid holiday pay would be obvious, for agencies it will just be a small amount of additional profit that they wouldn't notice and they probably wouldn't have encountered the issue often enough to identify that they need to have a report to catch the issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X