• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Missed Holiday Pay on 2019

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rasol View Post
    I think it's an umbrella, because I had a contract for 6 months and then another one of 3, and then again 4. I had a recent extension I haven't signed yet, so the proper terminology must be umbrella and not agency. I have the status of self-employed, I pay tax through PAYE.

I don't know about accruals or advanced payment, all I know is that GE is paying them a gross bill. From that they deduct many things including holiday hourly rate.

Can Anyone please explain why some company have common sense to pay the holiday remaining days at the end of the year, and some just won't ?
    I wouldn't be mocking someone's common sense when you are struggling so hard to understand how you get paid tens of thousands of pounds.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      By the sounds of it you are on the Agency's payroll so it's not an umbrella and if you are on PAYE you are not self employed.

As for the rest umbrella companies may have processes in place to check for unused holiday as they deal with such small margins that unpaid holiday pay would be obvious, for agencies it will just be a small amount of additional profit that they wouldn't notice and they probably wouldn't have encountered the issue often enough to identify that they need to have a report to catch the issue.
      2.2 For the avoidance of doubt, these Terms shall not give rise to a contract of employment between the Employment Business and the Temporary Worker. The Temporary Worker is engaged as a self-employed worker, although the Employment Business is required to made statutory deductions from the Temporary Worker’s remuneration in accordance with Clause 4.1.
      5.8 None of the provisions of this clause regarding statutory entitlement to paid leave shall affect the Temporary Worker’s status as a self-employed worker.

So that's how it ends, there is nothing to be done. I am losing 28 days of pay because I forgot a section in my contract something. I guess all I got to do now is find myself another agency/umbrella.
      Still thinking about what the government says about it: "a disincentive to not take leaves" >> "Take leaves "

Comment

Rasol, we need to first understand what your employment status is.

Who is your employer on your payslip?

And, without giving figures, what deductions are taken from your payslip (eg, does it mention Umbrella Margin, or Employment Costs/Employee NI)?

Who does your self-assessment? How is that completed? As an employee or as a self-employed person?

Who is your contract with?

Do you work a set amount of hours for a set wage each week/month or do you complete timesheets and the client is invoiced for the time you work?
        Last edited by Paralytic; 6 April 2020, 16:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          Rasol, we need to first understand what your employment status is.

Who is your employer on your payslip?

And, without giving figures, what deductions are taken from your payslip (eg, does it mention Umbrella Margin, or Employment Costs/Employee NI)?

Who does your self-assessment? How is that completed? As an employee or as a self-employed person?

Who is your contract with?

Do you work a set amount of hours for a set wage each week/month or do you complete timesheets and the client is invoiced for the time you work?
          Payslip ? It is written Carbon60 Ltd in big bold letter and the client company is nowhere on the payslip.
          Deductions: Tax - N I - NOW EE Pension
          My self-assessment ? If I paye as I earn PAYE I don't have to deal with self assessment.

That's why I say I am a contractor with the status of self-employed.
          The way I understand it is: I have to pay tax as an employee and I can be sacked as not an employee.

Contract: GE renewable energies
          I complete timesheets.

All the best.

Comment

2.2 For the avoidance of doubt, these Terms shall not give rise to a contract of employment between the Employment Business and the Temporary Worker. The Temporary Worker is engaged as a self-employed worker, although the Employment Business is required to made statutory deductions from the Temporary Worker’s remuneration in accordance with Clause 4.1.
            5.8 None of the provisions of this clause regarding statutory entitlement to paid leave shall affect the Temporary Worker’s status as a self-employed worker.

So that's how it ends, there is nothing to be done. I am losing 28 days of pay because I forgot a section in my contract something. I guess all I got to do now is find myself another agency/umbrella.
            Still thinking about what the government says about it: "a disincentive to not take leaves" >> "Take leaves "
            You can't be self-employed if you are being paid via PAYE. At most you are an agency worker on a zero minimum hour contract regardless of what the contract you didn't read until it was too late said.

Being honest there is only so much we can do to help people and it's clearly too late for anyone to help you. Go and see what a lawyer says but I think it will be a case of self inflicted no sympathy as:-

1) You should have taken holiday
            2) Money was there to ensure you continued to get paid when you were on holiday
            3) the fact you didn't take the holiday isn't anyone's fault apart from yours.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek
              You are an (no rights) agency worker on a zero hour contract. You are not self employed as if you were you would be being paid gross and would need to have registered with HMRC and file a tax return.
              And you are most certainly not a contractor.

What a farce this is lol.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you very much for your help,

Have a good evening

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I wouldn't be mocking someone's common sense when you are struggling so hard to understand how you get paid tens of thousands of pounds.
                  Ok, to be clear, I wasn't mocking anyone. I meant no disrespect to anyone. The fault is mine. I was just wondering why is there no automated system to pay a worker holiday pay automatically.
                  Second I'm saying I'm a bit furious over the concept of forfeiting money. How can such a clause be considered fair ?

Anyways, they have been nice enough to pay it back to me.

Thank God.

Comment

Second I'm saying I'm a bit furious over the concept of forfeiting money. How can such a clause be considered fair ?
                    That's basically how all permanent jobs work.
                    The company gives you so many days off per year, it's up to you to take them.
                    You work for them PAYE, they give you a net salary at the end of each month.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If you had chosen to accrue holiday pay, then any funds held as holiday should be repaid at the payroll year end - simple as! Sorry bit too late to the party as it has been paid back, but hopefully that helps for people in future.

Comment

Working...
                      X