• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Simple Pension question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Pension question

When umbrellas offer a company pension (People, Now, etc) are the pension payments effectively coming out of my own salary?

In other words, is there any point consigning up? Or am I better off simply paying into my own scheme such as the Aviva platform?

Originally posted by JamesC34 View Post
    When umbrellas offer a company pension (People, Now, etc) are the pension payments effectively coming out of my own salary?

In other words, is there any point consigning up? Or am I better off simply paying into my own scheme such as the Aviva platform?
    So you pay an umbrella like £80 a month in fees to cover its costs (employees/fixed costs etc) giving them a profit of about £5-£10 from you per month

From this £5-£10 profit do you think they could

Pay several hundreds of employers NI
    Pay several hundreds into your pension

Or do you now think it comes out of your salary ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Employers NI comes out as a percentage of your "own salary" (more correctly, the invoiced amount) before other deductions. Any salary sacrifice comes off before the NI is calculated, therefore payments via that route will reduce your overall deductions. It will also reduce Income Tax and Employees NI.

Note that some Umbrella's already let you pay into your own pre-existing scheme, including Aviva.

As a few Umbrellas for illustrations with and without pension deductions and you'll see the difference.
      Last edited by Paralytic; 17 April 2020, 07:31.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        So you pay an umbrella like £80 a month in fees to cover its costs (employees/fixed costs etc) giving them a profit of about £5-£10 from you per month

From this £5-£10 profit do you think they could

Pay several hundreds of employers NI
        Pay several hundreds into your pension

Or do you now think it comes out of your salary ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        I admitted it was a 'simple' question

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Note that some Umbrella's already let you pay into your own pre-existing scheme, including Aviva.
          Interesting. Are you able to say which ones?

I did try to find some, but wasn't successful.

Comment

Interesting. Are you able to say which ones?

I did try to find some, but wasn't successful.
            https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...providers.html

Comment

It is simple so I'd suggest you ring your employer and get a better grasp of exactly how you are paid and how it all works.

That said, if you can chosen give Lucy at Clarity Umbrella a ring. They have unlimited payments in to their pension set up. All you have to do at the end of the engagement is move it in to you personal one whichbis very easy.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 17 April 2020, 08:47.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                That said, if you can chosen give Lucy at Clarity Umbrella a ring. They have unlimited payments in to their pension set up. All you have to do at the end of the engagement is move it in to you personal one whichbis very easy.
                thanking you.

Happy to help if you want me to talk you through things and make sure you know exactly what you are getting.

Comment

Working...
                X