• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job Retention Scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What umbrella companies need to remember here is that they were becoming an increasingly used vehicle for contractors and they will again when the whole Off-payroll thing kicks off again. Those who do the right thing now will be remembered very differently to those who seek to wriggle out of any responsibility.

Name and shame.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
      What umbrella companies need to remember here is that they were becoming an increasingly used vehicle for contractors and they will again when the whole Off-payroll thing kicks off again. Those who do the right thing now will be remembered very differently to those who seek to wriggle out of any responsibility.

Name and shame.
      They simply don’t care for the £5 profit per month they make from each contractor - they are not agents

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        They simply don’t care for the £5 profit per month they make from each contractor - they are not agents

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        In that case they better make sure that their position is legally water tight.

Comment

I've reached out to my local MP, who has contacted their CEO.

Hoping this might draw some attention to it, it's utterly outrageous that some Umbrella's are acting in this way.

Their employee support email I was communicating via yesterday was a shared mailbox, getting passed about by who ever opened the email first, telling me to check Government advice, when in fact Government advice clearly states those on Fixed Term Contracts, even if the contract has ended can be furloughed.

I do understand they are still waiting for confirmation from HMRC on how to calculate pay etc, and I understand that, but Parasol should not enact different rules to what is stated on the Government website, to save them overhead.

Comment

Parasol have released Furlough guidance available here;

http://s2033663733.t.en25.com/e/es?s...d=4190&elqat=1

Look how complex their criteria is.

I am beyond anger with this business, even Orange Genie, my old Umbrella now now has criteria nothing like Parasol,

- 3 Which employees can be included?
            To qualify to be furloughed by Orange Genie, you must have been on our payroll and included in an RTI
            submission on or before March 19th 2020.

Can't believe what they are doing to people, disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by Whites View Post
              Parasol have released Furlough guidance available here;

http://s2033663733.t.en25.com/e/es?s...d=4190&elqat=1

Look how complex their criteria is.

I am beyond anger with this business, even Orange Genie, my old Umbrella now now has criteria nothing like Parasol,

- 3 Which employees can be included?
              To qualify to be furloughed by Orange Genie, you must have been on our payroll and included in an RTI
              submission on or before March 19th 2020.

Can't believe what they are doing to people, disgusting.
              Erm.. Am I missing something here but that's the basic criteria applicable to everyone isn't it?

Check if you can claim for your employees' wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme - GOV.UK

Who can claim
              You must have:

created and started a PAYE payroll scheme on or before 19 March 2020
              enrolled for PAYE online
              a UK bank account
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Erm.. Am I missing something here but that's the basic criteria applicable to everyone isn't it?

Check if you can claim for your employees' wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme - GOV.UK
                Yep, that is the basic criteria! I was on the books since January 2020! The Gov guidelines even makes room for people on FTC like myself.

They are just trying to make it as difficult as possible, my assumption is to keep the numbers down because they cannot afford it. Even though the Government will reimburse them.

Here is Parasol's criteria in full, sorry should of linked in previous post.

https://img03.en25.com/Web/ParasolLt...&elqTrack=true
                Last edited by Whites; 7 May 2020, 17:49. Reason: Forgot link

Comment

Still missing something. Doesn't look that onerus to me.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

“Declaration from Agency” is the killer here.

Agencies won’t, and probably shouldn’t, give out confirmations like this as it prejudices the relationship with their client.

The ‘Rules’ say it is the umbrella company who should make the decision so the Agency won’t commit. The UC can then hide behind the declaration which isn’t in the “Rules”.

The scheme backdates before 19th March. How can anyone claim for this period when nobody knew what the lockdown would entail?

Question - is anyone actually getting a furlough payout from an Umbrella Company?
                    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                      “Declaration from Agency” is the killer here.

Agencies won’t, and probably shouldn’t, give out confirmations like this as it prejudices the relationship with their client.

The ‘Rules’ say it is the umbrella company who should make the decision so the Agency won’t commit. The UC can then hide behind the declaration which isn’t in the “Rules”.

The scheme backdates before 19th March. How can anyone claim for this period when nobody knew what the lockdown would entail?

Question - is anyone actually getting a furlough payout from an Umbrella Company?
                      I've not got one, but I might be getting one. But I doubt it somehow. My contract ran out May 1st and the organisation publicly announced that due to CV19 they were not renewing any contracts. I have my hiring manager emails where he was asking me to tell him the grounds for my 4 month extension (ie what my work was going to be after May 1st) and then the decision mid April to not renew contacts.

However I just don't believe that any of this will work. Like others have said the whole chain is full of holes with no clear responsibility so experience tells me everyone will just avoid it where possible.

Parasol (in the attached) want conformation from the client or agency, my umbrella hinted at that but since I sent them the emails they haven't requested it again. They rang today and said that they wanted all the applications in by Friday, and if successful they would commence payments in the last week of May. I spoke to the agent, he seemed happy to provide the declaration but then said he would "have to get it cleared by head office legal"

Comment

Working...
                      X