• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Says They Have Exclusive and Sole Right To Payroll Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    The finer details are what makes the difference between being comfortable and being unexpectedly landed with a major problem. As is reading the f***ing contract, even if you don't get it reviewed, and understanding exactly what you are being offered.

No idea what you do to earn money, but your job is "being a contractor". And that means doing the homework. It's not like there haven't been loads of threads on here and elsewhere about the new variations on hiring were being offered these days. And the problems people are getting into...
    @Malvolio, I'm not even going to dignify your foul-mouthed rant with the proper response it deserves!!

If you have little of value to contribute or cannot act with some decorum, don't bother responding to a
    thread, Mr. Know-It All. I wonder why you're even on a forum with such attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Just to help me find all these threads in the future. Just because people don't like something it doesn't mean it's illegal. Companies thee size of Hays don't generally engage in illegal practices. Sometimes it's a bit hooky or even unfair but illegal?
      You're right, perhaps "legal" wasn't quite the right word.
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 20:27.

Comment

Originally posted by hitman126 View Post
        You're right, perhaps "legal" wasn't quite the right word..
        That's a completely different scenario.

The article is where an agency specifies which umbrellas it will accept. Often they cite compliance as to the reason. It is not liked but it is not illegal.

Your scenario is where the client (I suspect) has decided no PSCs and no umbrellas and have asked the agency to run payroll. It's not entirely clear but that's the impression I'm getting. Again, it's not liked but also not illegal.

It's not up to the agency to tell you anything you don't ask about. So, although Mal could have worded his response better, the gist of what he said is true. It's your responsibility to make yourself aware of these things and saying it didn't come up simply indicates that you didn't ask the question.
        Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 20:27.

Comment

Well, that's a valid point. However, as is often the case in the IT contract market, it is quite common for one
          to receive a call about a role, be interviewed and offered the job all within hours, leaving you very little time
          to ask lots of pertinent questions, especially when this has been a well-trodden path you've been used to for
          years.
          Yeah. At this point you begin to sound like an idiot.

The thing is, when you've been offered the job, the ball is is in your court. You have the power. You have all the time in the world. The client want you. The agency are absolutely desparate that you sign so they can get their money.

You seem to, even after all these years, no grapsed that the client and agency are entirely distinct.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Yeah. At this point you begin to sound like an idiot.

The thing is, when you've been offered the job, the ball is is in your court. You have the power. You have all the time in the world. The client want you. The agency are absolutely desparate that you sign so they can get their money.

You seem to, even after all these years, no grapsed that the client and agency are entirely distinct.
            Thank you for the wise words. Much appreciated.

Comment

@Malvolio, I'm not even going to dignify your foul-mouthed rant with the proper response it deserves!!

If you have little of value to contribute or cannot act with some decorum, don't bother responding to a
              thread, Mr. Know-It All. I wonder why you're even on a forum with such attitude.
              Well there's a shame. It's not me that's wrong. And I'm rude to everybody and always have been. Just how rude depends, among other things, on the level of frustration with the OP...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

To be fair its one of the best bits of advice on the thread.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Well there's a shame. It's not me that's wrong. And I'm rude to everybody and always have been. Just how rude depends, among other things, on the level of frustration with the OP...
                  "It's not me that's wrong"
                  Like seriously???

It's obvious you clearly don't understand the essence of being on a knowledge-sharing forum.
                  No one is right or wrong. It's all about sharing ideas and if you get frustrated addressing queries
                  from others because you think you're supremely knowledgeable and can't deal with queries from
                  people of "inferior knowledge" as you, then you're in the wrong place joining a forum buddy.

It's "refreshing" to see you acknowledge your rudeness and obviously feel proud beating your
                  chest and shouting about it off the rooftops. Good on you.

Trust me, I get rewarded extremely well in my profession but I'm still humble enough to ask
                  questions like I did here, without expecting to run into such pomposity. I won't though lose any
                  sleep over your bad attitude or churlishness......not a minute's sleep!! Doesn't bother me at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X