• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella employee taking dividends from dormant company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dib View Post
    It is my understanding that a dormant company can release dividends. I am still waiting fro my accountant to get back to me. They are busy due to covid-19 issues. I will post a reply once I know for sure what can/can't do.
    You may want to check that assumption:
    Dormant company: what must a company do to stay dormant?

Dormant company definition for Companies House purposes

Companies House employ a more rigorous dormant company definition. They define a dormant company as one that has had no significant accounting transactions during the accounting period. A ‘significant’ accounting transaction is defined as one that the company should enter in its accounting records. Provided no such transactions occur during the financial period then the company can have dormant company status.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      You may want to check that assumption:
      Dormant company: what must a company do to stay dormant?

mmhm information online is confusing and I would not trust unverified statements on random websites. I have found sites that say that you can withdraw dividends and pay into a pension and be dormant. Other say the opposite.

As I said, I will wait for my accountant to get back to me. I just thought I'd post it on here, in case anyone had some experience with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dib View Post
        mmhm information online is confusing and I would not trust unverified statements on random websites. I have found sites that say that you can withdraw dividends and pay into a pension and be dormant. Other say the opposite.

As I said, I will wait for my accountant to get back to me. I just thought I'd post it on here, in case anyone had some experience with this.
        I guess this isn't good enough either?

Dormant companies and associations: Dormant for Companies House - GOV.UK

Dormant according to Companies House

Your company is called dormant by Companies House if it’s had no ‘significant’ transactions in the financial year.

Significant transactions don’t include:

filing fees paid to Companies House
        penalties for late filing of accounts
        money paid for shares when the company was incorporated
        I'd say paying a dividend is a significant transaction.

I shared the other "random" site because it went into more detail and you were willing to ask the opinion of a "random" internet forum.

EDIT:
        If you log into your company on Companies House, and look at the Dormant Company filing you will see this, too:

No idea why images aren't displaying properly
        Last edited by ladymuck; 28 April 2020, 12:06.

Comment

Update

I spoke with my accountant and it turns out that YOU CAN withdraw dividends during dormancy, as long as you have enough funds to do so.

You cannot:

1) Claim expenses (apart from dormancy fees and bank charges)
          2) Contribute to a pension
          3) Receive a salary
          4) Pay other employees (if you have any)

The dividends will be added to your SATR along with the P60 figures and you have to pay dividend tax as normal, in two instalments.

To close the loop, I also called HMRC and asked.

Comment

A quick search of these forums would have answered this. Asking people to do a search isn't that stupid after all..

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...dividends.html

That said...

Every single article in this search, bar none, says you can't without losing dormancy status.

dividends for dormant company - Google Search

Are you absolutely sure every one in the loop is completely clear you mean a proper dormant company and just not a not trading one. Nearly every single thread we get on dormancy gets this wrong.
            Last edited by northernladuk; 29 April 2020, 15:42.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have to say, I'm very surprised that a dormant company can pay a dividend and CoHo not consider that a significant transaction.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                I have to say, I'm very surprised that a dormant company can pay a dividend and CoHo not consider that a significant transaction.
                All the articles say you can..younjust loose dormant status.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  All the articles say you can..you just lose dormant status.
                  Yeah, I guess that's the distinction. I was looking at it from the PoV that you'd want to retain dormant status.

Comment

Working...
                  X