• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside IR35 - Reimbursed Expenses Query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside IR35 - Reimbursed Expenses Query

Folks looking for a little advice - took a new contract in March and ended up having to go via an Umbrella (inside IR35) - and despite the delay to the legislation the client haven't reversed their decision, given the market just now I'll be looking around but happy to be getting paid.

I do have a question on expenses though; I know that with being Inside IR35 there are few if any expenses I can claim from the income I make and I get that, no issue with it.

However if I'm claiming expenses back from the Client that I've incurred (Train Travel, Hotel or Airfare) as part of a visit to a Client site then am I correct that as long as the Client signed off paying those back (and pay's the agency/umbrella) I should be getting the full whack back?

umbrella expenses site:contractoruk.com/forums - Google Search

Just check the date on the posts are some are older and rules may have changed since.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Or more a more specific search on claiming from client

umbrella expenses claim client site:contractoruk.com/forums - Google Search
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cmscotland View Post
        However if I'm claiming expenses back from the Client that I've incurred (Train Travel, Hotel or Airfare) as part of a visit to a Client site then am I correct that as long as the Client signed off paying those back (and pay's the agency/umbrella) I should be getting the full whack back?
        As long as you have the receipts to prove the full amount has actually been incurred and the client agrees to pay you for them, then yes, these should be reimbursed to you in full

Comment

I incur fairly regular expenses on behalf of my client, I get the them back in full but have had a couple of wrinkles.

My umbrella company wants to satisfy itself that they are allowable. I have had expenses disallowed because I bought lunch for a permie on the same trip and claimed back for both of us, got told only my portion was allowed. I got paid the money but it got taxed. The lunch only cost £4 so I wasn’t going to waste time on arguing about it. Just remember not to do the lunch run if I’m on site.

The client doesn’t allow VAT on VAT so my expenses go in net and show up on invoice as the Net value, I have to occasional remind my umbrella to pay me the VAT element.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X